SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I need some help with my clutch cable. The thing friggin snapped as I was getting food from Burger King, so I actually had to personally pick up my order from the take out window. Anyways, I replaced it, correct routing and everything, however the pedal is still very loose and so is the bit that links on the transmission arm. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stefan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, I'm know expert, but all it might need is a final adjustment. If you remove the large fuse box (top right of the car if it's a US model) you should see the clutch cable right below it. Firmly pull on the cable, until you hear a few clicks then go check the pedal. If there's 20mm or less freeplay in the pedal you should be good. If it's still too sloppy try again until you get it to the desired tension.

To get the fuse box off you'll need to remove a 10mm nut that's on the fender of the car (right side if it's a US model). You'll need an extension to get that b*stard off. There's also two clips on the firewall, to get them off easily just ease up the weather stripping at the edge of the top of the hood, slide the clips up, and push the box aside.

Of course I'd wait until someone confirms this is what needs doing, but I have the inkling it may be. I'd hate for my suggestion to have messed up the car even more. ;oops:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The thing friggin snapped as I was getting food from Burger King, so I actually had to personally pick up my order from the take out window.
OH THE HUMANITY!

Who says Americans are spoiled? :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Simply put, it is not routed correctly. Perhaps it came undone somewhere like the hook at the firewall. There should be no slack. Usually the opposite is true during installation, you do not have enough slack. If you have too much slack, you are missing something obvious.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
OR maybe they sold you the wrong cable by accident. Asia make a good point about the routing, especially the part about the bracket coming off the fender and the hook at the end of the pedal. This assumes you've tried Pirate's advice about the adjustment already.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cable is Saab OEM, already tried giving it a few pulls, but to no avail. Finally I just gave up after the whole ordeal. The mistake I made was not checking it before putting everything back together. Guess I was too confident in my masterpiece of a work. It would be strange that it would come off inside at the pedal especially after the clip that was keeping stuff in place was put on. Anyways, I'll take everything back apart once it stops raining see what's up.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Now that I think about more, I'll bet it's the hook end. When I did mine, I put that on first, but then had to do a lot of cable wiggling under the hood to get the rest hooked up. With the cable slack I would think that the pedal end could flop around more than normal.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I am betting that you are missing a hook, which would loop the cable and give it the added tension.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
MightyPirate said:
To get the fuse box off you'll need to remove a 10mm nut that's on the fender of the car (right side if it's a US model). You'll need an extension to get that b*stard off. There's also two clips on the firewall, to get them off easily just ease up the weather stripping at the edge of the top of the hood, slide the clips up, and push the box aside.
hrmmf, i should have known that when i was replacing my cable. I got so bloody pissed at it i just ripped my fusebox out :confused: ..damn the screws!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts