SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on my way home I started noticing that my car had no power to it at all... I would put it in gear and it would drive but the rpms would be way higher than normal and I could smell some burning. eventually it got worse and worse on my way home until finally it wouldn't drive at all... I was just trying to get it home cause it was a long drive but I ended up having to tow it, thank you AAA. Anyway my first idea was that I burnt the clutch out which is what the tow guy said also. But being I have no experience with clutch work I don't know what it means to "burn your clutch out" which part or parts will I presumably have to replace?

·
Registered
241 Posts
There's a plate that is pressed against the flywheel, except when the clutch pedal is depressed. The plate spinning with the flywheel sends drive from gearbox to driveshafts. The plate's covered with frictiony material, including asbestos for heat resistance. "Burning out the clutch" means the frictiony stuff is burnt off, and the smell is probably that asbestos. So now the flywheel spins faster than the plate, so you get high revs but little getting to the driveshafts.

I've read a zillion times on here that c900 clutches are uniquely easy to replace. A buddy of mine says the clutch is easier than the belts even. He's given to hyperbole.

Gonna do it yourself?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I burnt out my clutch about a year ago and I just waited till it cooled off and its been fine ever since, and that was a year ago! So you might not have to do anything :cheesy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so then I'm curious which clutch kit I will need to buy from Eeuroparts.com. I guess the only way to tell is to actually start disassembling right? I just haven't had time to do it yet. but I'd like to start my order as soon as I can so I can get my car back up and running,

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have you tryed your car today? It might be fine.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Sentientpuppet said:
so then I'm curious which clutch kit I will need to buy from Eeuroparts.com. I guess the only way to tell is to actually start disassembling right? I just haven't had time to do it yet. but I'd like to start my order as soon as I can so I can get my car back up and running,
What year/model is your car??

All turbo clutch's are the same up to about 91, then the bigger 9000 sized clutch was used, along with a bigger flywheel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently replaced my clutch; the 2-piece kit contains the clutch and pressure plate. That's all you really need unless you suspect hydraulic or bearing problems as well.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
You should always replace the release bearing when you do the clutch :eek: It's a cheap part and if that fails ten minutes after you've spent hours replacing the clutch, then you'll have to do everything all over again.

Buy the two-piece kit plus the release bearing.

However, if you're really keen then replace the slave cylinder too. In that case, buy the seven-piece kit (that's the same as the five-piece kit but is aftermarket instead of genuine Saab). That kit comes with the release bearing.

Do you know when the slave cylinder was last replaced?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts