SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted my sensonic to a manual clutch. Now the pedal has loads of play and the clutch drags, doesnt disengage drive.

I pressure bled it but still the same, any one got any pointers or ideas what to try next please?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Providing both hydraulic units are good - I guess they are new-so they should be.

Bench bleed the master, then bleed again after installed(at the outlets).

Does the pedal feel soft, as if you are stepping on a balloon ?

And I also guess that the slave is automatic adjusting - a feature I can leave !This may not be working for you.....

But the '79 900 was auto-adjust, never a problem - up to 160K miles- then she was upside down with broken engine mounts and everything else..

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I had hellish problems bleeding a new master cylinder and pipe on the 9000 earlier this year, this was with the Gunson bleed kit, I went up to 30psi before i got a driveable result, this makes no sense as even a gravity bleed should work :confused:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
First off, did you bleed the slave cylinder before putting it into the transmission? If not, then you're screwed and the transmission has to come off again. If you did, then the method that worked for me was to pressure bleed it from the reservoir with a Motive Power Bleeder, close it up, pump the pedal a few times by hand, and repeat. I never saw any air come out of the bleed nipple, but after doing that a few times the pedal went from completely useless to working beautifully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slave cylinder hasnt been changed, all ive had to fit is the pedal, master cylinder and the hose down to the slave cylinder.

tried Jeremy's suggestion tonight and got a better pedal, still not perfect but i will try it again tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
One does NOT need to bleed the slave before installing it!! The slave is not a master cylinder that benefits from bench bleeding before putting it in the car...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bled the hydraulics twice more now, still getting tiny air bubbles out but not many of them. I know theres air in there but it wont come out. Tried something new last night, parked it facing downhill instead of uphill, bled it again today and its made a difference. The clutch just about works now but still has some play at the top of the pedal, and bites close to the floor. But at leasst i can drive it now!!!!

Im gonna drive it for a few days, see if that makes any difference to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Bleeding - for a Beginner

Hi guys!

I have a SAAB 900S with 135K mile on it. I am trying to understand how to bleed the clutch. Have never been under the hood and do not have a manual available in any of the auto shops around here.

Is there some beginning tip that someone can offer? Basically the clutch is completely soft and not worknig at all. I have had this once before when I had the car towed to a dealership who said they just bleeded the clutch.

Any basic guidance will do.

1- Where does the clutch gets it fluid from? I understand it is the same as the brake fluid but not sure where is it put in the system?

2- Where is the bleed port for it if I want to do that?

Any help will be great.
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts