SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just upgraded my clutch. The transmission slid in without getting any air into the slave. The bleeding method I've used is completely unsuccessful. Do you have to pressure bleed these systems? Can anyone give me their method or lead me in the right direction. Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have just upgraded my clutch. The transmission slid in without getting any air into the slave. The bleeding method I've used is completely unsuccessful. Do you have to pressure bleed these systems? Can anyone give me their method or lead me in the right direction. Thanks for you help!
Hmmmm, there's NO way NOT to get air into the system. Bleeding after the fact can be tough.

A method I've used:

Remove the hose at the top of the transmission, simply pop the clip and remove the hose, bleed nipple and all.

Connect a fairly long hose between the nipple sticking out of the top of the transmission and a hand held vacuum pump.

Fill the hose about 1/3 full of fluid and then pump the air out of the hose (and slave cylinder assembly). Hold the hose upright so the fluid is down at the nipple and then release the vacuum at the pump.

Repeat until you don't get any more air out of the slave cylinder assembly. Can take many iterations to coax all the air out of the slave cylinder and feed tube.

Remove the bleed nipple from the hose assembly and head over to an auto parts store and get a speed bleeder the same size. (Napa has then in-stocik, I'm sure others will have them as well)

Install the speed bleeder and then the pop the hose assembly back onto the nipple at the transmission.

Take the hose you used for the vacuum pump and and connect it to the speed bleeder (cracked open) and stick the other end into the fluid reservoir.

Fill the reservoir to nearly the top and then pump the clutch pedal until you don't get any more air out of the system.

Tighten down the speed bleeder and remove the hose. Cap the reservoir and you're done.

One thing that bites a lot of folks, there's a SMALL reservoir for the clutch molded into the side of the main reservoir. It's filled with a small hole so it's really easy to empty that mini reservoir all the while seemingly to have a full reservoir. Becomes a no-win situation.

Using a speed bleeder and routing the fluid back to the (nearly overfull) reservoir keeps the mini reservoir full of fluid for the process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so i decided to kinda do my own thing here. I went to the local napa and picked me up a mityvac brake / clutch bleeder. I Had a problem getting my pin back in to secure the clutch line in the slave line nipple. So i had a guitar string laying around, folded it 3 times and it slid right around. Bleeding- Open your master cylinder cap and fill to the brim. Attach your vacuum line to the nipple and pump it till there is a good amount of pressure. Make sure clutch pedal is up. Then crack your bleeder (9mm) and put the clutch pedal to the floor. Then keep pumping your vacuum bleeder after 2 or 3 min. close the bleeder nipple and pull clutch up. do this process untill you have a nice stiff clutch. Dont worry if it takes you a very long time, Took me at least an hour. While your doing it i would recommend putting a shop rag under the bleeder so you dont get brake fluid on your nice new stage 3 clutch. if you have any questions fell free to ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my method

so i got a mityvak vacuum bleeder from the local napa. I opened the master cylinder cap and filled to the brim with dot 4. Make sure the clutch pedal is up. Hook the bleeder up to the nipple and pump it till you have vacuum. Open the nipple then push the clutch down to the floor and keep pumping the bleeder. keep pumping for 2-3 mins. close the bleeder and pull the pedal up. I had to do this for about an hour so don't be scared if it takes a while. if anyone needs help feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Remember that the reservoir has a separate compartment for the clutch fluid as well. Keep it really full or you will suck air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts