SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing a clutch replacement on my 98 900SE soon and I can't for the life of me find a source for a clutch alignment tool! Not the clutch kit supplier or the local auto parts store, or anywhere online... anyone have any ideas or sources online I could try? This will be my 4th clutch I've done. 2 without a tool and 1 with a tool. (no saabs) I'll never do another without the alignment tool! :)

Thanks for the help!!
Jamie.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have one, a dummy shaft; then I used the official dealer's tool, the clutch shaft from an old transmission, back in the 60s..
The one I have is from Mac or Snap-On..They are the real tool suppliers ....
You can make one on a lathe, using a hard wood..

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
This may or may not help, but I found that the jack handle from my cheap jack fits perfectly. The jack is quite common, it is a simple small 1.5 ton one you can buy at most any parts store.

sorry I don't know where to find a proper one.
Tboy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right - I've made the home made variety too, but it doesn't allow for alignment of the splines... I did see some generic alignment tools - I think there was a Mac one on ebay, but I was worried it wouldn't mesh with the splines...

I found that the tool is included in the clutch kits from SPEC performance clutches. So I emailed them. Haven't heard back yet though.

Jamie.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Well AutoZone lists a clutch set for the 98SE for 306$ I use to work there, and the clutch sets come with an alignment tool, the discand the throwout bearing I think. I can't remeber all of it, but I am sure about the disc and the alignment tool.

You might go in and talk with them, it is special order, but you could order it slow shipping which is free, and if it doesen't have what you need, they will take it back (ask about return policy first of course, its been a year).

Tboy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I could just order the clutch tool? I've already ordered the clutch kit from http://www.fcpgroton.com. $205. But no tool. Still, the tools usually cost around $5 - not $100! ;)

I'll give 'em a call tomorrow. Thanks!
Jamie.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Lisle makes a metric clutch alignment tool if you can find a dealer that sells their stuff locally. They make some very nice, and unusual, automotive tools. Sears carries some of their products, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts