SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2003 Saab 95 makes a clunking noise when going over bumps. Perhaps the problem is the sway bar (anti roll bar) LINKS. I mean, only the links...not the ant roll bar itself.

I understand that to replace the roll bar, the engine has to be hoisted a little bit. Do I have to hoist the engine if I want to change the links only? Is this job just a matter of unbolting the old link and replacing with the new one? Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
No you don't have to jack up the engine to change the links. Yes it is as simple as unbolting the old ones and bolting the new ones on.

·
Registered
867 Posts
So, my 2003 Saab 95 makes a clunking noise when going over bumps. Perhaps the problem is the sway bar (anti roll bar) LINKS. I mean, only the links...not the ant roll bar itself.

I understand that to replace the roll bar, the engine has to be hoisted a little bit. Do I have to hoist the engine if I want to change the links only? Is this job just a matter of unbolting the old link and replacing with the new one? Thanks!
The questions is...IS that what is making the noise?
Are you sure its not the strut bearing? or something else?
I just dont like fixing something only to find in the end I need to fix something.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I replaced the links with Moog links. The noise went away for a day and then it came back. The next step is the sway bar bushings, but they are on back order at e-euro for the 2001 V6 model.

I'm going in for safety inspection within the next month, so if I have any worn suspension parts, they will let me know.

The car has 167K miles on it, so most of these parts need replacement anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input!

I'm not sure that the noise is only a result of the sway bar links. Initially I thought it was the shocks. I replaced all four shocks/struts, since it was about that mileage anyway, but the noise remained. I think I'm going to replace the sway bars links since I don't need any kind of engine hoist for this job, and see if this fixes the problem. I did notice that the boots of the two front sway bar links are torn. If the problem still is not fixed, I'll go for the sway bars/bushings, maybe.

I'll report back in about a week.

Thanks!

The questions is...IS that what is making the noise?
Are you sure its not the strut bearing? or something else?
I just dont like fixing something only to find in the end I need to fix something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts