SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced front end links with factory replacement parts about 2K miles ago.
All was good, no more noises and a nice ride.
Suddenly a new clunking/knocking noise from the front left when encountering dip in road.
It’s not the same banging noise that I felt when I went over small bumps/potholes in the road prior to replacing the end links.
I’m thinking upper strut bearing or possibly lower control arm/ball joint.
Is there a way to determine the condition of the strut bearing without removing the strut assembly from the car?
Same applies for the lower control arm, anybody have a recommendation on how to determine if that is the issue?
I verified no loose bolts on suspension components and no issue with recently replaced end links.
06 9-3 SC Aero 6 speed manual with 120K miles, completely stock, original struts/shocks front & rear.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
For strut bearing, jack up the car and allow the wheel to hang free. Lever a long breaker bar or crow bar under the tire and move it up and down - if it’s bad, you will see play in the upper mount looking at it from under the hood.

For the control arm (or ball joint) the process is similar: lever the tire as above and as well lever the control arm against the subframe and look for movement or play.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Springs are good, no cracks as that was first thing I checked.
Will get the car lifted again and see if I can find any movement but found it tricky to see movement while applying pressure under the tire when doing this solo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise isn’t a rattle, more like a single knock once suspension loads up, even on a hard turn.
almost like something is loose…..frustrating that I can’t seem to locate the problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
arb bushes
I believe you are correct.
Haven’t found any indication of excessive wear to the lower control arms or upper strut mount.
I do see what appears to be deterioration of the rubber sway bar bushings.
Always try to go factory OEM when replacing parts as I did when I replaced the end links.
Apparently the factory replacement bushings now come in 2 pieces, an upper & a lower bushing mount.
Anybody have experience installing these 2 piece bushings?
Wondering if having 2 pieces will make the install easier or more difficult.
If more difficult may consider going with aftermarket Polly bushings.
Comments appreciated…….

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan '98 corolla until my 9-5's engine is finished:'~((
211 Posts
For strut bearing, jack up the car and allow the wheel to hang free. Lever a long breaker bar or crow bar under the tire and move it up and down - if it’s bad, you will see play in the upper mount looking at it from under the hood.

For the control arm (or ball joint) the process is similar: lever the tire as above and as well lever the control arm against the subframe and look for movement or play.
This is precisely what to do. A lazier way to check upper strut mount that may work is to remove the cap and just press your body weight onto the car near the suspect strut and look for movement. The jacking up way is better.

Looks like I'm late to the game. Btw, I have to recommend looking into powerflex usa polyurethane 87A street bushings replacements for a better (sportier, more direct) feel than stock with potentially more longevity depending on location

1 - 9 of 9 Posts