SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a slight clunk when the car first starts to move forward in gear. It is an automatic 9-3 convertible.

Also, the car seems to rattle quite a bit over bumps and uneven roads. Is there a subframe connector or some kind of brace to eliminate the shimmy?

And last but not least; the speakers on the front driver's side don't work. Is there a common problem with that or is there and easy fix?

Thanks in advance!

PSC

·
Registered
377 Posts
pscalfa said:
Hello,

I have a slight clunk when the car first starts to move forward in gear. It is an automatic 9-3 convertible.

Also, the car seems to rattle quite a bit over bumps and uneven roads. Is there a subframe connector or some kind of brace to eliminate the shimmy?

And last but not least; the speakers on the front driver's side don't work. Is there a common problem with that or is there and easy fix?

Thanks in advance!

PSC
First one is the ABS I believe.

Second one is normal from my understanding, even though it is quite annoying.

All of the speakers or just one of them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ABS? wow, I figured it was probably motor or trans mount, but I am unfamilar with Saabs.

So even though that is common is there an aftermarket fix?

Just the front two speakers. I think it might be a wire. What do you think?

PSC

·
Super Moderator
20,335 Posts
Pull OUT on the volume knob and turn left and right. My bet is you have faded to the right on accident.

·
Super Moderator
20,335 Posts
Also, if you have a 2003 vert you need to be in the 9-3 forum below as you have the older 9-3. Sorry for the confusion on the outside of this forum. I will move this thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats how I figured out the speaker weasnt working I altered the balance and fader and discovered the quiet speakers.

psc

·
Registered
30 Posts
did your clunk just start or did it slowly get louder? Steering still tight? I'm new to saab's , but not cars, so much of this response is based on other cars. Could be what you suggested as far as mount. Might be ball joint, cv joint, strut related, other? jack the front end up and get under it and wiggle the crap out of anything and everything.

hope this helps

twoie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the steering is tight. THe car does not deviate from its path when the wheel is untouched. However, there seems to be a slight shimmy in the wheel. almost like a tire is out of balance and I think it might be related to the clunk during initial acceleration. As far as the history of the clunk; it has been around since we bought the car for my wife. I am going to get the car's oil changed this weekend I'll have them look for any bad tierod ends, ball joints or split boots. I'll try to look in for the motor mounts also. Anyone have any suggestions on the motor mounts? The best ways to access them visually?

Thanks!
PSC

·
Registered
30 Posts
motor mounts can be tuff to no if bad unless you can see that they are actually ripped. It sounds more like a cv joint problem. When going slow ,in a parking lot, turn the wheel completely from side to side and see if the clunk happens. What I wean is do a series off half circles. If it's your cv it may just clunk.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have two Saabs. One is a 1998 900SE vert and the other is a 2000 9³ Sedan. Both cars have less than 75k miles and both cars have had the transmission mount break. When I would start out from a dead stop it would bump hard as the engine jumped up and hit the frame. You can easily check by popping your hood, putting it in gear with the brakes on and watching the engine. Mine would jump up 3 inches on the driver's side toward the front of the car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
pscalfa said:
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

PSC
I had same problem and it was transmission mount gone south. No it is not to difficult task to change it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the beest source for the mounts? Also, is there anything that can walk me through the process?

thanks!
Psc

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
pscalfa said:
What is the beest source for the mounts? Also, is there anything that can walk me through the process?

thanks!
Psc
I bought mine on eeuroparts.com. I don't have time to search right now but look for a posting with some great photo instructions by DIP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks frank. I found the DIP site and it is very clear. Are there any other things I should consider changing out now the car is at 41K miles? timing belt ect...

PSC

·
Registered
63 Posts
2004 93-SS here

The clunk on moving off is something I've wrestled with for 51,000 miles - I've finally accepted that it's normal. It's done it from the time I bought it, and nothing has changed over the last 50k - so I suppose it's not going to cause a problem in the future.

It's been to the dealers 4+ times with this problem - they never found anything wrong, and these forums have convinced me that it is indeed just an ABS 'feature'.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
pscalfa said:
Are there any other things I should consider changing out now the car is at 41K miles? timing belt etc...

PSC
The car has a timing chain, not a timing belt. With any luck, unless the engine develops the dreaded sludge problems, you will never have to touch it... :cheesy:

The accessory drive belt, a.k.a. "serpentine belt" in the US, is supposed to be good for 60K miles, but in my opinion, both the belt and the idler pulley should at least be inspected with tension taken off the belt before then.

Personally, I would replace the pulley at the same time as the belt, regardless of the fact that 9-3 models seem to have fewer problems in that area (my rep as a paranoid Saab owner has been earned the hard way).

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The serpentine belt and pulley... At 30K start inspectingonece a month, check the pulleys; some say to change the belt and pulleys at 30K ; IMO, do this at 60K (major, major service)

The water pump ...At 90K begin to inspect , once a month. These do seem to last a long time..
The PS pump...... these too hold up - I have a little seepage; as did the Hondas - inspect monthly, along with the tire pressures, and fluid levels.

Prices : http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1085&cat=1004

·
Registered
13 Posts
pscalfa said:
My wife has a 2001 9³ SE (HOT) convertible. The convertible chassis is soft and suffers from quite a bit of shake. I had gotten to the point that I just didn't enjoy driving it. I recently purchased a 6-point subframe brace, steering rack clamp/brace and a larger rear anti-roll bar from Genuine Saab and it made a BIG difference. I still need to install the upgraded suspension bushings I purchased too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts