SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to getting that 9-3 I want, and the salesman told me that it had been jumped wrong previously at the dealership, and that is why the fan wasn't working when I test drove it. He said they replaced a few blown fuses and the car is fine now. My boyfriend had told me before about the dangers of jumpstarting a car wrong previously, and I am now nervous what problems this could lead to in the future. Is there anything I should make sure they test throughly before I take the car (I am already asking about the starter and alternator!)? What else could go wrong down the road?

Anne

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If they jump started the car in such a way that it blew multiple fuses I would probably look elsewhere because
1) the dealer should know how to jump a car
2) I've never heard of fuses blowing from jump starting (this car at least)
3) The fact that several fuses blew implies a current overload in several circuits, which means other electronic modules may have received overcurrent.

Actually, I don't really believe this is what happened. We have had several people here damage electronic modules by jumping the car, but I do not recall blown fuses. I think they are saying "blown fuses" because they don't really know what was changed/repaired and it sounds like a simple fix. I don't know what's scarier to hear when buying a used car, lies or an admission they don't have a clue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eeek! Here's what they told me Monday- it was the blower fan and they'd replace it. Today I hear that it "must have been" jumpstarted wrong and there were a few fuses they had to replace. They also replaced the battery and he said that the starter and alternator were checked and are fine. He said if any additional problems crop up, they'll be under warranty. So I don't know what to do or believe now. My gut feeling says the car will be fine, but my rational voice is doing the worrying. I also know that some cars just plain blow fuses and I wonder if it has anything to do with jumpstarting since the battery could have been dead. That does happen! I don't know, I feel helpless here... :cry:

Anne

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
What year and mileage are the car?
You have to be careful with CPO warranty, because I believe it does not cover some of the more expensive electronics like audio and navigation, both of which are sensitive and have been known to fail.

If this is a Saab service center and they managed to jump the car wrong, I'd be worried that these same guys would be doing the warranty work!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 2003 9-3 with nearly 57k.

Yes, I am a little worried too about their mechanical ability. There is another Saab dealer I could go to that's easier to get to. Yes, I understand a lot of stuff may be covered under warranty, but I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road! Who wants that?! And you're right, the radio wouldn't be covered, and I'd worry about that if they indeed did jumpstart it wrong. My salesman said some of the other salesman try to jumpstart cars instead of letting service do it. You know how some of them can be! I don't know if newer cars have some sort of protection when it comes to jumpstarting wrong to send it back instead of allowing it to wreak havoc in the system. I'm still tossed up, but I know one thing's for sure- I'm not paying their asking price anymore! I'm trying to $2900 less with another $1000 on my trade since they are "super anxious" to give it to a customer. :D And they owe me a 60k check up too. Otherwise I'm walking!

Anne

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I might get flamed for saying this...

But I'd run away from that car. Quickly.

The electical system of a 9-3 is a 'weak point' in that it's quite complicated with lots of expensive and interconnected parts to fail. You already know that some sort of electical 'event' has occured. 9-3's aren't the most reliable cars in general anyway. And 2003's were the first model year and do sort of seem to have more problems than later years. At least around here....

I wouldn't touch a 2003 9-3 that has *known* electical issues with a 10 foot pole. The fact that the dealership screwed it up is even worse. Heck, I wouldn't want any modern car with known electical problems. It just gets expensive and difficult to diagnose in a hurry.

I'd find another 9-3 with no known problems and that is a Saab CPO (certified pre-owned) so you have a decent warranty that be in effect for a while. I know you mention that the dealership told you things would be covered under warranty, but make sure you know what kind of warranty they're talking about. It's (essentially) worthless if it's some dealership-used-car 30-day, 1k mile warranty.

But that's just me...

·
Registered
117 Posts
LaserRed9-3Aero said:
I might get flamed for saying this...

But I'd run away from that car. Quickly.

The electical system of a 9-3 is a 'weak point' in that it's quite complicated with lots of expensive and interconnected parts to fail. You already know that some sort of electical 'event' has occured. 9-3's aren't the most reliable cars in general anyway. And 2003's were the first model year and do sort of seem to have more problems than later years. At least around here....

I wouldn't touch a 2003 9-3 that has *known* electical issues with a 10 foot pole. Heck, I wouldn't want any modern car with known electical problems. It just gets expensive and difficult to diagnose in a hurry.

I'd find a 9-3 with no known problems and that is a Saab CPO (certified pre-owned) so you have a decent warranty that be in effect for a while. I know you mention that the dealership told you things would be covered under warranty, but make sure you know what kind of warranty they're talking about. It's (essentially) worthless if it's some dealership-used-car 30-day, 1k mile warranty.

But that's just me...
I could not agree more.

Run Forrest RUN and allow some non-informed sucker buy that car. Nor would I even go back to that dealer. It sounds like that car needs to be taken out to pasture if you get my drift. I knew how to correctly jump start a car before I was 16. Sad to think a salesman can't even do a simple thing like jump a car. Although I think s/he is lying through their teeth at you.

I got taken advantage of once in my life when going for a car, and I swear it was because I am female. *sigh* Sad.

Go to edmunds.com and read reviews of the 2003 9-3. That alone may make you reconsider the year of car you buy.

Is that one they are trying to sell you even CPO??? How can it be if it is now, being 2008, over 4 years old? I thought a saab couldn't be more than 4 years old or have a certain amount of miles on it (whichever comes first) in order for them to offer it as a CPO....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This car is a Saab CPO. I didn't find this out until Monday, so its an added bonus although it won't raise the price for me! I'd be covered until November, and if I did buy the car, I'm getting another warranty or something on top of that just in case... I didn't get a warranty with my Camry and I'm a bit worried about the tranny, they've been known to have problems (the V6's) and I don't want to see that repair bill.

I also like the 2005 I found, but its not a CPO, unless I can get that on there. I have no idea how that works! Its also from a Nissan dealer. That'd be funny, the last car I bought was also from a Nissan dealer. And they know crap about their mechanics. I have to give Toyota credit, they do have excellent mechanics, or at least service shops.

I'm still tossed up what to do, so I'll head over there tonight and have a long chat, and a test drive complete with a 4 page checklist I found online to check over some basics & mechanical. Think I should still try looking at the 2005 too; they just might match the 2003's price since they've already lowered it and its been on their lot for a few months. Too bad I can't find a good Arc or Vector, those are hard to come by up here with lower miles & price.

Anne

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ditto

Get away fast. I don't think it got jumped wrong, I have a feeling this is a Katrina car or other flooded car - get the VIN and do a check if you are still interested in it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
teblhasa said:
This car is a Saab CPO. I didn't find this out until Monday, so its an added bonus although it won't raise the price for me! I'd be covered until November, and if I did buy the car, I'm getting another warranty or something on top of that just in case... I didn't get a warranty with my Camry and I'm a bit worried about the tranny, they've been known to have problems (the V6's) and I don't want to see that repair bill.

I also like the 2005 I found, but its not a CPO, unless I can get that on there. I have no idea how that works! Its also from a Nissan dealer. That'd be funny, the last car I bought was also from a Nissan dealer. And they know crap about their mechanics. I have to give Toyota credit, they do have excellent mechanics, or at least service shops.

I'm still tossed up what to do, so I'll head over there tonight and have a long chat, and a test drive complete with a 4 page checklist I found online to check over some basics & mechanical. Think I should still try looking at the 2005 too; they just might match the 2003's price since they've already lowered it and its been on their lot for a few months. Too bad I can't find a good Arc or Vector, those are hard to come by up here with lower miles & price.

Anne
Have they given you a carfax report on it yet? It should be free.

If you buy a Saab from any other dealership rather than a Saab dealer it will not be CPO even if it is one year old with 2000 miles on it. Same as if you bought a Toyota from a Nissan dealer, the Toyota would not be CPO. Even if you see a Saab on Buick lot- both GM cars- no matter..it is not a CPO. Saab and only Saab is authorized to mark a car CPO, and any other dealer who makes that claim is lying to you. Period.

And imho, November is only 10 months away. Terrible warranty. And you should not have to be put in a position to purchase another warrenty for yourself. Waste of money. You are better off spending that in a higher monthly payment for a newer car with a better warranty that didn't have the "fuses blown" or whatever really happened to it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
dak1975 said:
...Is that one they are trying to sell you even CPO??? How can it be if it is now, being 2008, over 4 years old? I thought a saab couldn't be more than 4 years old or have a certain amount of miles on it (whichever comes first) in order for them to offer it as a CPO....
Exactly what I was thinking. I didn't think there's such a thing as a 2003 CPO anymore. Too old. 2004, yes, but not 2003.

If I were buying a used 9-3:

1) I'd buy it from a reputable, good, local-ish Saab dealer. Sure, you can buy one somewhere else, but it helps if you bought it at the servicing dealership. More than likely, you're going to need service at some time, and for service you're probably going to need a Saab dealership. Talk to the service manager. Ask them how many 9-3's they work on. Do they have loaner cars? Free coffee in the waiting area? etc, etc. Just get a feel for if he/she is a nice person. It helps if they are, it really does.

2) Is this an automatic? If so, see if you can find out if the transmission & radiator are original or if they've been replaced. Some automatic 2003's had a fairly serious problem that required the transmission and radiator to be replaced. It would be nice to know whether or not it's been a problem. It should have been taken care of already, I would hope. But if they can't jump start a car....

3) Make darn sure it's a true Saab/GM CPO warranty.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The previous owner had it certified, that is why its on this particular 2003. I haven't seen the written warranty as of yet, but I'm making sure its Saab-backed. Yep, I think they should pay for the extended warranty if it did get jumped wrong.

Not to worry, I've made arrangements to go see the 2005 tonight before I revisit the 2003. At least it should have the original warranty, or I'll buy one for it. I've set the wheels in motion for a good deal, so we'll see if I can get one.

BTW I ran Autocheck on this car and it has a clean title. The dealer also provided one. I bought an accident car once thanks to Carfax not reporting the accident, and it will NEVER happen again. I only buy clean title cars from now on.

The dealership is a Saab/Cadillac and they have a very nice waiting room with free loaners. they recently renovated the dealership, like most of them have been doing around here. Very nice sales staff, although I worry about the quality of their mechanics there. I'd probably go to the other Saab dealership- they have a strong reputation where I live. I just don't like the fact they're associated with VW (my least favorite car).

Anne

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Once a car has been sold as CPO I believe the CPO Wwty can transfer to subsequent owners. I'm not sure how that works if it goes through a dealer though. So it might be CPO but if this is from a Nissan dealer I would take the VIN into a Saab dealer to find out if it is really CPO. I think there is also a cost of transferring the CPO warranty that you pay to Saab.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My dealer "warned" me that this is a common issue on 9-3's. Apparently they have seen several cars towed in with fried electricals from jump starting (even if done correctly). They told me "do not under any circumstances jump your 9-3...call roadside assistance and have it towed instead".

I brought this up in another post and everyone told me it was impossible, but maybe this car you are looking at is proof positive.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You mentioned this car has 57K???? A Saab Certified Preowned can not have more than 50 thousand miles on it. Get out now!!!!

The remote possibility is, it was previously sold as a CPO and still carries the warranty...check ownership and mileage at sales dates on carfax if it's available. " I Smells FISH"

·
Registered
476 Posts
My 2 cents

Everyone makes good evaluations here. You don't want to be one of those "I bought a Saab and what a piece of junk I'll never buy another" because of one unfortunate example.

Watch out about Carfax, because some states don't require flood problems to be reported (per a Car & Driver article I read RE: Katrina cars). That is not to rip Carfax at all, but each state may have different reporting requirements.

Checking on a 2005 is way likely to produce a car you'll be happier with, and every new happy Saab owner is better for all of us who think these are wonderful vehicles!

You seems to be approaching this in a mature manner - I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Anne -

I take it you are buying this car from Morries (you mention "Saab/Cadillac"). Run! I'm sorry, but I've had some bad dealings with them, as well as some other people I know about. I wouldn't be surprised if one of their goons jumpstarted it wrong. I'm surprised those people know how to anything there! I've never had any kind of stellar treatment there. Not what I'd expect from a dealer which purports to sell "luxury automobiles" at least. We have evidence that one of their lot boys used a car which belongs to my dad's client as a "joyrider" one day, as the thing broke down on him in a part of town where the car shouldn't have been. Then they had the car towed - AT THE CUSTOMER'S EXPENSE!

Conversely, Schmelz Countryside has been rather good to me. I'd go there instead. I'd walk from this one if I were you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nickshu said:
My dealer "warned" me that this is a common issue on 9-3's. Apparently they have seen several cars towed in with fried electricals from jump starting (even if done correctly). They told me "do not under any circumstances jump your 9-3...call roadside assistance and have it towed instead".

I brought this up in another post and everyone told me it was impossible, but maybe this car you are looking at is proof positive.
I have a theory that the cars with fried electricals from jump starting had a battery that failed due to a broken intercell connector. A battery in this condition will not produce any voltage and will not take a charge. It is, for all purposes and intents, an open circuit. This is the battery that is fine one day and totally dead (so dead the dome light won't even light) the next.

If a car with a battery like this is jumpstarted, when the jumper cables are removed it will have the same effect as disconnecting the battery with the engine running, because the jumped vehicle is operating ONLY off the doner vehicle's battery. This can cause voltage surges which damage the vehicle's electronics. This, incidentally, is why you're not supposed to test the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the engine running.

Unfortunately it is impossible to know if this is really what happened because of these Saab 93s that are damaged by jumpstarting, nobody ever mentions what was wrong with the battery. Was it merely discharged? Did it just no longer have enough capacity to start the engine? Or was the battery totally dead?

If my Saab 93 ever fails to start, if possible I'll take the battery out and get it tested at Autozone or Advance Auto. Then, if it's bad, I can call roadside assistance and tell them to bring a new battery. (Think they'll do it? Apparently Mercedes-Benz roadside assistance will).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, I was dealing with wonderful Morrie's. After a frustrating hour after a wonderful time test driving, I walked out. The car was very nice, it tested out perfectly and passed my 4 page checklist with flying colors. However, the dealer was firm on their $12,465 or something like that price, and I know the car's not worth it. They also pretended like I told them I was putting $1000 on the car, which wasn't true. So they said they'd get me out the door at $10,000, and I realized that their "kind discounts" was actually more like a $32 savings!! I told him to call me if they changed their minds and wanted to sell the car- it had been sitting on their lot for at least a few months. Also, the forum voices were in the back of my head about being careful if its been jumpstarted wrong and about the true CPO warranty. I think that's also why they didn't budge on the price, and I don't like a dealer who fudges the numbers so much that you cannot put them straight on a piece of paper. The salesman was very kind but the manager is a total jerk. I kept pointing out how this car isn't worth the price, how they're shorting me over $2000 on my trade, etc. I put up a good fight and it got me nowhere except "feel free to call if you change your mind!".

I've got two 2005's in my sight although I think at least one has a basic radio, bleh! Both are Linears, I'm hard pressed to find the other trims. I can go back to 2003 where I found a couple of Arcs but I didn't have good luck the last time I was at their lot- none of their cars wanted to work for me, unless the salesman didn't like me. I also found a manual tranny that is CPO at Schmeltz, but I don't know how to deal with their asking price of $15,000 unless I can get them to give me $13000 on my car or haggle theirs down. I think I'll use my lunch hour to call the prospective dealers and give them my twenty questions and I'll know then if I want to take the time Saturday to visit the lot or not.

I really like Saabs, I cannot believe how tight they hug the road, and what a smooth & powerful engine they have! I just wish they were more reliable!

Anne

1 - 20 of 83 Posts