SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My Saab 9-3 has been sitting for a while and I went to fix a bunch of issues with it and one of the last remaining issues is the Climate Control is stuck on the foot position. It seems to have been seized because when I tried to move it initially it wouldn't budge then gave way. It's now going to all the positions but when the air is on it will stay in the foot position. Any way to fix this? I can't be having the windshield fog up as winter approaches. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I assume its the rotating knob type controls? In this case its basic air con, not climate control but that's irrelevant .... The distribution knob has, on the back of it, a white telescopic spindle with flexible joints each end and you may have broken one. If I'm right its a cheap fix as the part is available.

The other problem I've seen on these is the "key" on the back of the knob which plugs into said spindle, breaks. Happily, the knobs are easily available too.

In both scenarios, If you yank the AC panel out it will be immediately obvious.

However the seizure will be somewhere ahead in the HVAC box. I think the spindle thing and the knob are designed to break first, because if you try to force the part the spindle attached to on the heater unit, it will break something deep inside and thats a whole world of pain.

The distribution flaps and their pivots are heavily greased on assembly but you may have one jammed by years of dirt. I'm not familiar with the detail but some way will have to found to access inside the heater/HVAC box to free the flap. I've seen accounts of how to do this. Its a case of finding where to cut a hole in the unit, nudge the flap, squirt some lube in then re-attach the access door you cut out.

Let us know!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I might have access behind the radio from a youtube video I watched. I'll give it a go tonight and see whats going on. Thanks Doug!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have a search through my OG9-3 threads. I went through all this with mine. By all means try replacement spindles but if it's stiff they'll just break again first time you try. A (sort of) solution is just to use a very long screwdriver and torch to set the air distribution to where you're happy and leave it at that. If my knob worked (!) it would be at the 10 o'clock position (!!), screen and feet.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
As Doug and the other guys have said , the telescopic control rod will be snapped ( often called toilet roll holder )
Unfortunately that is the symptom and not the cause . The cause is the Jammed up rotating drum that have warped over the years . I have been through this on a Viggen , painful process , and lots of different possible attempts to fix on here . For my Viggen , I ended up giving up on all the attempted fixes ( one included total dismantle and sanding the Drums smooth and lubricating , it failed ) I managed to source a complete Heater box from a parts car that the drums rotated freely on . I In my Case the Viggen does have ACC meaning the Drums are rotated by little electric servos , but same in principle, the drums are jammed in one set position . You could get a screw driver into where the telescopic rod connects and turn (force ) them to your desired position ( eg defrost ) .
You wont find a new box I searched far and wide many years ago .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts