SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before :lol: . The car is a 1994 Saab 9000 aero. Is there any way of changing the settings on start up of the car ie. When I start the car, can I have the default at any temp, and the a/c "OFF". At the moment, the a/c comes on automatically, with the whole system in "auto" mode.

CHEERS.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
if you shut the car down in Econ, it should start in Econ. other than that, i don't know of any adjustments.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I remember correctly, set the settings to whatever you want them to be at startup (temp, ECON, fan settings), then push and hold the top right hand button and the bottom right hand button on the ACC panel (the bottom one should look like: <==>). Then the system "memorizes" what you want - there should be some indication that it worked like the display getting faint and then coming back to life. Let me know if this works, I think i remembered correctly...

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I think that's the right buttons too. I wanted to have the ACC in OFF when I start the car so while the motor is running, I turned ACC OFF then set the memory as per MW1515's description and it worked.

Now here's my question: after I start my car and ACC is in OFF, then I turn on ACC (either pressing "Off" or "Auto" buttons), how do I preset the temp in memory so it's not defaulted to 21C ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe im misinterpreting....but now that i think about it doesnt the temp default to whatever you had it at when you turned the car off? (maybe it has to be on AUTO or ECON when you turn it off to do that). Otherwise have it set to the temp you want when you do what i described above in ECON mode, and it will memorize it. My car always defaults to whatever i had it at last time, although, i never turn the car off without it being on AUTO or ECON

·
Registered
367 Posts
i set mine to off as well - it remembers the temp when you switch it back on though. however i had it at the temp i wanted before i set it to 'off'. might be the trick :)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Thanks guys for the tip (sorry to Karl for my hijacking this thread !).

OK here's one that's even tougher and the answer to which I have absolutely no idea. Here goes: say you're driving along on a hot day like today and you have ACC on Auto set to 17C which gives a nice cold chill. Then you hit OFF. Now everything is off in theory (A/C unit, blower motor etc) but the vents still give out cold air and will continue to do so unless I turn ACC back on and change the temp. So without sounding like a mechanical dolt, how is the A/C able to continue operation and cool the air if it's been turned off ? I've yet noticed the same in other non-Saab cars, just mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The guy that sold my car to my dad (it used to be his) told him that you always have to hit the ECON button before the OFF button if you want to turn the AC off. Otherwise the compressor stays on. I don't know why, maybe a mistake in engineering...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all, sussed it now. Also interesting that when I thought my a/c was turned off, it never was.:roll:

cheers :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Soooooooooooooooooooo?

So, if what you are saying is right and I set my state side '95 Aero to be in OFF mode when the car is started the A/C system will still be on??? Well that defeats the whole reason I want it to start in the OFF mode?? Maybe i should set it to start-up in the ECON mode??:x

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I "think" what is meant is that if you go straight from "auto" to the "off" position, the compressor still runs but doesn's supply the cabin with the chilled air ?

You have to go from "auto" to "econ" to "off", to turn the compressor off :roll: .

I would have thought that if you set the a/c to "off" for start up, by pressing the right hand buttons, that's what it will be :lol: .

In other words, the change in a/c condition form "auto" to "off", whilst driving, has to be done in 2 stages :D .... or maybe not :roll: . This also has to be done if you're setting the "default" to "off".

Hmmm...

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
SaabKen said:
Thanks guys for the tip (sorry to Karl for my hijacking this thread !).

OK here's one that's even tougher and the answer to which I have absolutely no idea. Here goes: say you're driving along on a hot day like today and you have ACC on Auto set to 17C which gives a nice cold chill. Then you hit OFF. Now everything is off in theory (A/C unit, blower motor etc) but the vents still give out cold air and will continue to do so unless I turn ACC back on and change the temp. So without sounding like a mechanical dolt, how is the A/C able to continue operation and cool the air if it's been turned off ? I've yet noticed the same in other non-Saab cars, just mine.

this is where things get technical :roll: the acc panel (or aircon switch with manual ac) does not switch on the compressor, it tells the engine ecu the the ac is required, the ecu then deturmins when and if the comp is switched on once it has made all the necessary adjustments to the engine (emission reasons) the same goes for switching off the comp' the acc tells the ecu to turn it off but the ecu only does that when its ready, but then the ac system is ice cold so it takes some time for it to warm up to a point where the incoming air is warm and even with the heater fan off the movement of the car will forse air in through the vents

·
Registered
739 Posts
Karl said:
I would have thought that if you set the a/c to "off" for start up, by pressing the right hand buttons, that's what it will be :lol: .

In other words, the change in a/c condition form "auto" to "off", whilst driving, has to be done in 2 stages :D .... or maybe not :roll: . This also has to be done if you're setting the "default" to "off".

Hmmm...
Now i undeer stand the whole two stage thing to turn the A/C off. But what do you mean "This also has to be done if you're setting the "default" to "off"." This is what I want to do. Can I just press the OFF button on the ACC unit. Then while teh motor is still running press upper and lowwer buttons on ACC to set OFF as defult or is there more to this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I understand it.... I think the basics are that "whenever" you want to turn the a/c off, you have to go to econ first...but someone please correct me if this is wrong..:roll:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Never had a problem just setting mine from Auto to Off. Compressor disengages and after a while, the vents are definitely not as cold.

David.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you set the default to OFF everything will be off when you start the car (including all the fans - thats why i set mine to ECON so that i will get some breeze but the AC will not come on until i press AUTO). However, if you then want to turn AC on, you must hit ECON after that (before hitting OFF if you want all the fans off too) to get the compressor to stay off (at least in my car)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well i went straight out to mine and tried the 2 button trick and it does work, the green light goes dim then brightens again. Left car for a couple mins, started the car and no pesky aircon on now, which is good.
I'm sure this tip would be useless for women but men like to squeeze every last horses whisker out of the engine without having it go on little inconsequential things like comfort!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts