SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my radio to install and aux cord and that all went well and good but now the sid doesn't seem to be light up as bright as before and I have to flick the clock side of the screen to get it to light up sometimes. Also the drivers side climate control screen was the same way except it wont light up at all anymore. It lit up when it was in reset mode after I unplugged it and there was that 0 number but then it went back to not lighting when it fully reset. Im very ocd and its bothering the crap out of me. I hate when you do something to your car and break something else in the process. Any help be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
there are tiny light bulbs in both the SID and ACC unit and they are VERY fragile. Bumping things around may have broken a few.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Your ACC still has the features faintly visible so yes, it’s the bulbs. SID has lost some “pixels” so that’s the ribbon connector. I think mine used to vary according to temperature or humidity. There are DIY solutions and many buy a replacement ribbon or get the unit reconditioned

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses I'll go order some replacement bulbs. I was worried I might have pinched a cable or damaged the screen so thats good to hear its just a simple bulb replacement. I do plan to tackle the sid repair soon when I have the chance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all the responses I'll go order some replacement bulbs. I was worried I might have pinched a cable or damaged the screen so thats good to hear its just a simple bulb replacement. I do plan to tackle the sid repair soon when I have the chance.
Same thing just happened to me, when replacing my radio. Specially the ACC, passenger side has gone very faint. Did it end up being a bulb, or was it the ribbon cable?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Same thing just happened to me, when replacing my radio. Specially the ACC, passenger side has gone very faint. Did it end up being a bulb, or was it the ribbon cable?
Pixels either work or work not. If the numbers and graphics are there but very faint, it's dead bulbs.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
You have to pop out the ACC, which is easier than the radio.

Bulb bases are visible from the back side of the unit. Stick in a screwdriver and give them a quarter turn counterclockwise. The Saab tool screwdriver has the right size of blade to wedge in the base so you can pull the bulb out attached to the screwdriver.

I always salvage these bulbs from junkyard cars. New, there are various sources. I would definitely get ones with the proper bases on them. Removing the bulb from the base has never worked for me, other than destructively.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts