SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
If it was a straight or smooth bar, the smaller piece would spin around inside the larger piece, and the steering wheel wouldn't grab very well. The splines help lock the two pieces together, I think, but still allows them to move up and down (but not rotate). I could be wrong. This is my uneducated opinion on the matter. :)
OK, assuming that's right...I was referring to the whole piece being a solid bar instead of 2 interlocking ones. So I guess the spline allows it to move up and down to absorb some impact and prevent breakage/snappage that could occur with a single solid piece?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
OK, assuming that's right...I was referring to the whole piece being a solid bar instead of 2 interlocking ones. So I guess the spline allows it to move up and down to absorb some impact and prevent breakage/snappage that could occur with a single solid piece?
Perhaps. The Swedes didn't do stuff without a reason. I am sure there's a sound engineering principle at play here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great tutorial. Thank you MacNoob & my mechanic for properly diagnosing problem! Before taking the spline apart you could try cleaning out any dust in the recess at the top of the spline and packing the same with grease. That's all I did and a few days later no more clicking! I used EP Euro spec grease.

I used Permatex SuperLube synthetic grease from a tube I've had for 15 years - it's the closest thing I've found to a generic grease (I use it for dielectric grease in electrical connectors too).

Any thick wheel bearing grease should work fine in the spline. Just not a thin grease like Lubriplate or white grease.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And the spline is for?

I did this recently on my 2006 9-5 and it worked great. Thank you MacNoob. I used Bel-Ray waterproof heavy grease that I had in my garage.

Meanwhile, after examining the spline, I wondered about its purpose. I concluded that its how the steering wheel fore and aft adjustment is made possible. The only other design idea that came to mind was that something in the linkage below the spline requires the ability to slide.

Anyone with steering linkage knowledge know what the real function of the spline is?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all!

I recently made a video covering how to re-grease the splines and uploaded it to YouTube. Hopefully the video instructions make everything clearer! :)

I regularly post Saab videos to the Trionic Seven channel on YouTube, so stay tuned! :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts