SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running the engine on my 87 900 S 16v non-turbo with 133,600 miles and I heard a clicking sound in the engine. I checked all the fluids in the engine and everythings good. There doesn't seem to be a loss in performance in the car, power is the same and it runs good, except this sound. Is this normal? None of my other cars had a sound like this, then again all my other cars were OHVs and not DOHCs. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is it a fast clicking sound, and only intermittent?? I've got something similar, but I traced it to my ignition coil that was making the clicking, changed the coil and still get the same noise, but only from time to time, and why I have no friggen idea, but it's doesn't seem to be bothering anything

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think my car might make tappet noises, is it kind of a rattle rising with the revs that only happens when the car's cold?

Is it a problem?

·
Registered
219 Posts
GPT27 said:
I think my car might make tappet noises, is it kind of a rattle rising with the revs that only happens when the car's cold?

Is it a problem?
Yep, its a rattle rasing with revs, and usually happens when the engine was just started after sitting.

It's normal for the noise to occur for a few seconds after starting the engine after it's been off for a while. More than 8-9 seconds might indicate that something isn't working at it's best.

It's not a serious problem.

~Be sure to always change the oil on time. Deposits can clog the small passages of the lifters and maintain a lower than normal pressure in a few lifters. That will cause the clicking noise.

~You can try expirimenting with thinner/thicker oil and different oil filters.

Thinner oil will work it's way into the lifters easier and quicker. It will also feed the entire oil system quicker.

Filters have an anti-drain back valve that does it's best to keep oil from draining back to the oil pan. This is to keep oil in the engine so that the next time you start it, the engine gets full oil pressure faster. Some brands of oil filter have drastically better designed valves than others. Maybe your brand doesn't have the best system, or recently yours got stuck or broke.

~Change to synthetic oil at your next change (if you've not already)
With a capacity of only 4 quarts, there is really no reason to not be using synthetic oil. (It's higher price is not going to drastically affect your wallet at only 4x) ((Assuming oil is sold by the quart where you live))

You will hear some clicking noise from the injectors, and that is normal. Our cars seem to be alittle louder than most.

When I was looking at my car to buy it, the first time I had the hood open with the motor running, I noticed it right away.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does sound like it is coming from the vavle cover. You can't hear it with the hood closed. It is only noisy at startup when the engine is dead cold. When starting up, it'll idle, but sometimes the RPMs will drop and it'll "Catch" before it stalls and bring it back up, and this goes on until the engine heats up. If you try to rev the engine with the ticking going on, it'll "stumble" between maybe 1500-2500 RPM (I'm only estimating, I've revved it using the throttle cable, not the pedal so I didn't see the tach). But when it's revving above idle you can't hear it and it can only really be heard at startup while idiling. You can however hear it when the engine is warmed up, but its muted somewhat and you have to look for the sound.

The car does need an oil change I'll be doing that in the next few days (the cars been sitting since December in a driveway), the last oil that was in it was 10W40, what does anyone suggest I should go to for the next one?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
When was the last time you change the oil? and what grade of oil was used?

Is the engine warm or cold when you hear this sound?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
That might also be your timing chain, when they get worn they make a rattlish sound. But if it goes, click, click, click, click, click, click, when its idleing, then its either your lifters or injectors. Expecially if the car is cold and has been sitting for a while which gives the oil a chance to drain out of the lifters, it takes them a bit to repressure and I don't think they totally seal off until they are warm.

~Change to synthetic oil at your next change (if you've not already)
With a capacity of only 4 quarts, there is really no reason to not be using synthetic oil. (It's higher price is not going to drastically affect your wallet at only 4x) ((Assuming oil is sold by the quart where you live))
This is something to consider carefully. Once your've switched to synthetic you doin't want to go back. And you are running the risk of having some of the more worn seals start to leak. Also, even though the oil may be able to run 10,000, what about the filter?

:Edit:
A light clicking noise if nothing to be concerned about, a loud clacking or one lifter being noticibly louder than the others is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts