SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new owner of Saab and this is my first time on a forum, so apologies if struggle at first.

When i turn the steering wheel there is a clicking sound that comes form the front. it happens when i turn both ways, but when i go slow its sometimes doesnt happen. I went to the dealer and they couldnt help me. All they said was dont go fast when i turn. Not exactly what i wanted to hear. Could someone help me out, or give a suggestion. I got a 2004 93 Linear.:confused:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I would agree with the cv joints.....That is the typical sound when they go bad.
Classic symptom--strange the dealer didn't figure it out. With that said I don't think many people have replaced their CV joints at all here.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Classic symptom--strange the dealer didn't figure it out. With that said I don't think many people have replaced their CV joints at all here.
I've done two. One whole axle and one just the CV.

The axle was caused by asshattery, and the CV was caused by... asshattery :x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.. I'll go 2 the dealership and have them check the CV joints and give me a quote..

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
In my experience cv's tend to knock not click.

When i turn the steering wheel there is a clicking sound that comes form the front. it happens when i turn both ways
Are you moving or stationary?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my experience cv's tend to knock not click.

Are you moving or stationary?

Well not sure what you would call that sound, but as i go faster in a turn, either left or right, the number of clicks or knocks increase, and when stationary it doesn't make a sound.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
i never come across both cv joints going at the same time,normally the reason for them to wear,is that the cv boots have split & all the grease has been flung out onto the inside of the wheel...

i've been driving for 22+yrs,replaced boots but never a cv joint..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a similar issue after getting back from a business trip with my Saab parked outside for a few days. A buddy of mine told me he thought it was my strut mounts, and had my tighten the main nut on on the strut then the 3 surrounding bolts. I did what he recommended and still now over a month and a half later the clicking is gone.

I loosened everything and jacked the car up. Shock the strut to try to seat it properly, then began to tighten everything. With the car on the ground I had my brother put his full weight on the front corner that I was working on and tightened the main nut down as hard as I could. The three smaller bolts i torqued down but not to hard.

I would be careful with the three surrounding bolts as they can break

I cannot take responsibility for any work you may do, but it worked for me and if it is not your CV joints this could be your issue.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts