SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share a recent experience I've had with our 04 9-3 Vert. The car has 27,000 (we bought it with 24,000).

Shortly after we got it, it developed a clicking noise when turning. The dealership replaced various suspension parts over multiple visits to the shop but it never resolved completely and recently got worse.

The battery just failed and we had it replaced (under warranty!) so the car was in the shop anyway. I asked them to address the clicking noise again. They called and said the front brake pads were worn thin and required replacement which might resolve the noise. I remembered reading here and being told by an independent shop that the rotors should be replaced with the pads on this car but the Saab dealership said the rotors were fine and didn't need replacement. I hated to pay $275 for front brake pads but that's still cheaper than the $450 the independent shop wanted for rotors and pads. Hope I chose correctly here but they do offer a 12 month warranty on the brake job so I'm covered for a while at least.

On to the noise. Not surprisingly, the pads didn't impact the clicking noise. They now say they've isolated the noise with some certainty, have ordered parts and I'll have the car back tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
562 Posts
gillum said:
On to the noise. Not surprisingly, the pads didn't impact the clicking noise. They now say they've isolated the noise with some certainty, have ordered parts and I'll have the car back tomorrow morning.
Replacing the pads didn't correct the noise, because the problem most likely lies within your outer CV joints.

·
Registered
137 Posts
3rd stone from the sun said:
Replacing the pads didn't correct the noise, because the problem most likely lies within your outer CV joints.
I hear clicking noise when turning that sounds like metal object is hitting the rims. I believe has to do something with brakes being released.

Please note that I hear sound only if I break before turning and I do not hear anything if I make turn without braking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the car back today and no clicking noise. Something about a strut that needed to be replaced which fixed the problem.

My problem now is the horrendous squeaking metallic noise coming from both front wheels. The dealership says this is normal as the brakes seat in. They suggested hard braking to speed the process. I just drove 15 miles and made 20-25 hard stops (60-10 mph) which had little or no effect; it may have made the sound worse! How long will this last? Should I take it back to the dealer?

TIA!

·
Registered
137 Posts
gillum said:
Another trip to the dealer; "backing plate" was hitting the rotor.
Gillum, could you please provide more information what happened? Also, what is backing plate?

Thanks

·
Banned
631 Posts
backing plate is also known as a dust shield.

They may have bent it while putting the wheels on or what not.

The noise might go away, but probably not. Ide call them back and say the noise is getting louder. and if they still try brushing you off. Just ask them what happened to customer satisfaction? Ive noticed dealerships are getting worse by the day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to resurrect a dead thread here, but can anyone elaborate on the dust shield or brake backing plate. Does it have to be removed, or just bent back to proper position?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
You should be able to just bend it back into proper position or at least close enough.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's what I was thinking, but from initial inspection the plates aren't touching or rubbing. Ill get everything off and take a closer look and see if I'm missing something though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts