SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I4.

just bought the car, 76k miles. it has a clicking noise from the engine bay. assuming its something in the valve train. im currently running 89 for the gas, and i just changed the oil and used 5w30 mobil 1.

also what are some better shocks for it. figure it could use a change, but im not looking to spend *** loads on them. just want a good ride.

will need rotors at some point too (current are a lil pitted), but thats for later.

thanks

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hi, welcome to SaabCentral..in answer to your questions
  1. Is the clicking continous or does it come and go? The ACC compressor clicks as it engages/disengages, if its an earlier auto it will have a brake vacuum pump that can be quite noisy as well.
  2. There's not many budget shocks out there for the 9-5, those who upgrade get either Koni, Eibach or Bilstein set-ups that lower the car and improve handling 200%. They are not cheap but still cheaper than buying Saab OE shocks.
  3. OE rotors are expensive too :roll: , there's quite a good choice of replacememts out there, inc. Black Diamond, Brembo or Ferodo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kermits 9-5 said:
Hi, welcome to SaabCentral..in answer to your questions

1. Is the clicking continous or does it come and go? The ACC compressor clicks as it engages/disengages, if its an earlier auto it will have a brake vacuum pump that can be quite noisy as well.
  2. There's not many budget shocks out there for the 9-5, those who upgrade get either Koni, Eibach or Bilstein set-ups that lower the car and improve handling 200%. They are not cheap but still cheaper than buying Saab OE shocks.
  3. OE rotors are expensive too :roll: , there's quite a good choice of replacememts out there, inc. Black Diamond, Brembo or Ferodo.
continuos at idle wether or not the a/c compressor is on.

my dad was wondering if they were solid or hydraulic lifters, but a quick google shows they are hydraulic so that eliminates that.

MIKE

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Have you checked all the pulley belts? One could be frayed and striking an engine component every time it goes round, making a ticking sound. :roll:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mike

Unfortunately hydraulic tappets (lifters) can click.

Usually on older engines with a high mileage, the seals leak a bit and oil pressure drops with age.

Usually it stops after a minute or 2.

Any half decent mechanic should be able to tell you straight away if that’s the problem.

I think Kermits most likely right, I would check the pulleys and belts first.

Pete

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GONE FISHING said:
Mike

Unfortunately hydraulic tappets (lifters) can click.

Usually on older engines with a high mileage, the seals leak a bit and oil pressure drops with age.

Usually it stops after a minute or 2.

Any half decent mechanic should be able to tell you straight away if that’s the problem.

I think Kermits most likely right, I would check the pulleys and belts first.

Pete
will check the pulleys. but ive been able to say that the ticking will not stop on idle. even after a 10 min drive it wont. but i cant hear it when reving, only idling.

MIKE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts