SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have had the issue with clicking (like metal rod hitting thin metal plate) from front wheel area. It happens when I break before turning and as I release break and turn. I do not think it is related to steering, but rather to brakes. I heard that there is service bulletin about this issue. Could someone please post experiences or any information? Someone from this board suggested that it may be back plate related issue. This is what I found online:

"Lots of posts about front end "clicking" noise by the wheel on the new 9-3's. Someone here described it well, sounding like the pads are stuck to the rotors, or that it comes from the steering rack. A friend of mine who has a 9-3 Aero had the same problem. Saab in San Diego found the problem and fixed it under warranty. You can pass this out to the some of the dealership service departments nationwide who can't figure it out!!"

This was from the dealer invoice;

Lube both front wheel bearing and lube BAC King Plates and Hub assemblies.
Re-installed Hub assembly and rechecked.

2 - S92152366 Wheel Bolt
2 - S90223979 Locknut

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having similar problem

I just bought a used 2004 9-3 and noticed that the right front wheel is making a noise similar to what you're describing. I don't think it's the wheel bearing because it doesn't change when I turn to the left or right, and the noise isn't always consistent. If I'm on a level road, it seems like the noise kind of comes and goes, bumps make it worse. I'm taking it to the dealership some time this week to have them check it out. Also, not sure if this is related to the noise, but after I turn off the car, about half the time, it seems like a fan in front of the engine comes on and stays on for 15-20 and then shuts off. Don't know what that is about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same noise when turning and when i sit in the car every morning. The dealer replace the wheel bearing and all was good. I had them ride with me to duplicate it because they could not duplicate it themselves. I could duplicate it by driving about 25 mph and cut the wheel sharply-you have to cut it in the opposite direction to position the bearing at the other end of play and it and you could hear it each time. Then a week later the other side was pinging and it was replaced with no more noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I looked this morning after getting into work and there is a loose clip on what I think is the housing of the outer brake pad on the right front tire. The clip on the left tire is very snug, but the clip on the right is movable, almost to the point where I might be able to pull it off. I'll be taking it to the dealership this week to have them fix it. Still don't know about the engine fan coming on after turning off the car though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts