SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i have noticed a "loud enough to hear in the cabin" clicking noise from the engine bay of my 93 900t16s. I think i have followed this and figure it is a tubular "thing" on top of the radiator - i have just found a photo of an engine bay and am butchering it to show you what i think it is!

The thing i dont quite get is that when i touch the brake pedal, the noise stops, almost like it is brake related!?

(its going into the garage tomorrow but i want to know before i send it in!)

What is this? whys it clicking and worrying my bank?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
That looks like your ignition coil in the picture? that is very unlikely to click!

mounted just next to that, above the radiator should be your APC solenoid. Smallish round thing with 3 pipes attached to it and 2 wires going to the top. now these do click when they are ill!

The APC solenoid would also stop clickin when you braked as the power to it is cut when you press the brake pedal.

Has your turbo been boosting properly since it started clicking?

If you start the car with the engine running and bonnet open, then pull the wires to the APC solenoid. See if that stops it clicking. Alternatively pull out the APC fuse while it is running and see if that stops it too.

Sometimes APC clicking is just caused by the wires being dodgy or loose or dirty, but it could be caused by the solenoid being knackered.

There are plenty on ebay ant they arnt overly expensive.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right on the money

hey - good going, i just went out and had a look and you were right! i unplugged it and it stopped clicking, gave the plug bit of a wiggle but it made no difference! going to look on ebay now!

Is it likely to give me any grief apart from the turbo not boosting properly?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Replacing the APC solenoid is rarely the fix to stop Clacking..
This design unit is virtually unbreakable.
Suggest you look for the cause not the symptom :).
First thing to cause clacking is a vacuum leak, There are Lots of connections/hoses (in dash too) check ...every.. single one.
Pressure transducer failure.. rare.. but?? also can cause clacking,
as does a poor electrical connection to the APC box AND to the ECU.
g'luck

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, i will head back out and have another look to see if i can spot anything obvious, otherwise i will get the garage to check for me in the morning when she goes in!

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
You can get a replacement on ebay for less than a tenner. I'd say it might be worth just trying to swap it (as its a 5min job) before you have to work hard and search for vacuum leaks. There are a lot of pipes in a saab turbo :roll:

If you leave the solenoid valve unplugged (or just leave the apc fuse out) your turbo will be restricted to base boost (1/3rd to mid yellow on the gauge). Won't do any harm to drive like this (but its frustrating!)

·
Registered
411 Posts
could this be my low-boost problem?

my car has been experiencing, for a while now, a conversion to LPT (not really :p . the boost gauge never goes over 1/3 into yellow--and after reading this, i went ahead and cleaned the plug to the solenoid (with WD-40) and plugged it in (engine running already) and it clicked like CRAZY
(when brakes applied it DID stop)--however, then i shut the engine off, started it--no clicking, i fiddled with the plug (assuming it was loose) and it clicked a few times-then stopped. Could this just be my plug? or is it most likely the solenoid? or both!?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
that is exactly the same as the issue i am having except my turbo can still boost into the red! :cheesy: just not as well as it has done inthe past! i havent had a chance to try cleaning it all up yet but will be checking it over before saturday!

and it is also intermittant! this morning, running fine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts