SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking to clean my wheel speed sensor to fix unwanted ABS activation on my 03 9-5, the problem I'm having is that I've removed the screw and sprayed it down with some WD40, but I just can't seem to get it off, this is for both front sides, is there some trick that I'm missing, or am I just gonna have to bite the bullet and break the thing?

20161005_141414.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
another case of rusty crusty
The bolt and rust are what hold the sensor.
Unwanted ABS activation can be due to rust formation under the sensor or a damaged reluctor wheel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another case of rusty crusty
The bolt and rust are what hold the sensor.
Unwanted ABS activation can be due to rust formation under the sensor or a damaged reluctor wheel
Yes, thank you, what I"m concerned about is breaking the sensor, is it fine to just use some muscle to get it off? Is there some relativly safer method to get it off like twisting it or something?

·
Registered
596 Posts
In my experience you will have to be lucky to free it up. If you have an air compressor you can try blowing out the hub from all around. If I remember from poking around the WIS, I believe you should be able to test the signal with a multi meter- there is a junction just over the wheel well in the engine compartment.

Drilling the old one out wasn't too easy and a new one is roughly $50 so testing might be a good place to start. Many ABS troubles end up being a bad control module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my experience you will have to be lucky to free it up. If you have an air compressor you can try blowing out the hub from all around. If I remember from poking around the WIS, I believe you should be able to test the signal with a multi meter- there is a junction just over the wheel well in the engine compartment.

Drilling the old one out wasn't too easy and a new one is roughly $50 so testing might be a good place to start. Many ABS troubles end up being a bad control module.
I believe the connector (where both sides come to meet the module) is next to the battery correct? I know it's not the module because the speedometer still works just fine and no lights come on, which is the same problem I was having with my '98 Intrepid before this, leading me to believe it's the one on the right side since, from what I've been able to find, the driver side is where the cluster gets it's information from.

·
Registered
596 Posts
A tip from hard experience- hard to find in the WIS but they suggest first examining the brake pedal switch. This turned out to be my problem, and having known it could be involved beforehand would have saved me no end of labor and expense.

This is not to say that a sensor is not your problem, it is just that they are pretty simple things and should send a signal even through a bunch of crud.

During my research there seemed to be plenty of threads where the speedo worked at first and then eventually failed due to a faulty module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A tip from hard experience- hard to find in the WIS but they suggest first examining the brake pedal switch...
Are the brake pedal switch and the brake light switch the same thing? I just assumed and looked under the pedal 20161107_125048.jpg realized I didn't know what I was doing and started searching, but everyone else is saying "brake light switch" with some mentions of the cruise control. Where would I spray? I do have access to the WIS, what I would I search?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes- same thing. My bad on nomenclature. It is the larger of the two switches and has an adjustable plunger on the end. Push the pedal away from the plunger and slide it out with pliers, then depress the pedal- it will self adjust. Spray it with some silicone spray or WD-40 or the like and see if your symptoms get any better. Have someone check if your brake lights are activated by the pedal. Might not help, but easy enough....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes- same thing. My bad on nomenclature. It is the larger of the two switches and has an adjustable plunger on the end. Push the pedal away from the plunger and slide it out with pliers, then depress the pedal- it will self adjust. Spray it with some silicone spray or WD-40 or the like and see if your symptoms get any better. Have someone check if your brake lights are activated by the pedal. Might not help, but easy enough....
The brake lights work just fine, it's just that the ABS goes off at speeds under 30, I'll give this a shot.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I thought I had read that it's the rear, left sensor that reads speed.

Presently, my wagon is going 9 mph while standing still..
Is it 9 mph while key on engine off? If not and it is only engine running try unplugging the D terminal of the alternator and check if it is still 9 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For closure, because I've googled threads that had my problem and the solution was never solved, it was the sensor on the front passenger side, over the span of two days I sprayed it with Kroil and then I gave it a few taps with a hammer and it twisted off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts