SaabCentral Forums banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
I am looking at your work here. I think the white car can be made to become something really special!

I am sure its alot easier when you have the donor sitting right there you can just walk across the yard and pull the bits you need.

Not many white C900's around except your comrad there in Canada.

Looking forward to great things here;ol;...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
floorboard work

Cut a hole.

Cut piece to put in hole. Helps to have a parts car in the driveway.
Clamp piece in.

Tack it.

Weld it up. Apparently I am somewhat out of practice.

Simple

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Leather seat dye

I got lucky once and found a pair of what looked to be almost brand new black leather seats at the pick and pull. Once there are no more holes in the floor and I have the proper brackets welded in, I plan to put those in along with the leather rear seats from my SPG. Some of the vinyl around the base had torn, so I had it replaced.

After seeing some of the marvelous results other have had with leather world technologies dye, I decided to dye the buffalo grey leather black to match the fronts. The dye really works. Even seems to dye the vinyl the same shade as the leather. I first used the cleaner that came with the kit and it removed tons of grime. I then applied 4 coats of black dye using the sponge that came with the kit. I would have sprayed them, but probably not in my basement. After sitting for a day, I loaded them up with leather honey to see if I can get them nice and supple. It added a gloss to the finish that I was not expecting, but I think it will probably lessen after I rub them down tomorrow.

New vinyl

After cleaning

First coat

Fourth coat

Leather Honey applied

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It's the combo of the light in the basement and no flash on my phone. They are definitely black. :) The fronts were not dyed, they were that color to begin with. Not sure where they came from originally, I haven't seen black leather in any other 900. The car I pulled them from was an N/A with a buffalo grey rear seat and interior similar to my SPG.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have black seats/interior in my 92 C900 LPT Monte Carlo yellow vert.

Oops, sorry they look good, I wasn't liking the look that is really shiny after one of the applications.
But the earlier and later ones look great.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I had read lots of reviews of Leather Honey and it seems that people really like it. The previous really shiny pictures were prior to buffing it off. You apply it an let it sit for a day before rubbing it out.

It definitely added a gloss finish to seats that I was not expecting. I will report back on how I like it. So far it seems OK, but it did not soften the leather up as much as I would have hoped.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
done

Finished up the exhaust tunnel and two minor spots over the subframe connectors. Welded in the old style seat mounts. Wonder if I'm the only guy who ever did that. Sanded, cleaned, rust converted, seams sealed and painted. Then and only then realized that I hadn't rerouted the part of the harness on the right there.

Got to decide what else to put on the floor. Truckbed liner? Dynomat or equivalent?

For anyone who uses dynomat or the like, what keeps it from being another floor ruster? Can you seal it up well enough that water won't get trapped underneath it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
cleanspg.

don't waste you money with Dynamat, this guys are pretty good and cheap.

http://www.b-quiet.com/

one 50 sqft is enough for the inside of a car and trunk.

Now they have a new product that is thicker and it can be use on firewalls and such I totally recommend it.

They have another product called like V-comp that is kinda like the floor rusters that we have in our cars but with better sound proofing quality but the problem is that is not close cell foam(so it will suck water) so I will recommend to strip all the foam from the original floor rusters and glue a new close cell foam underneath so then you get same sound proofing and vibration quality but with better water repellent materials.

I tried to find some other foam materials and I haven't be able to find a good foam with sound proofing qualities and that is fire retardant like the Dynaliner from Dynamat and like the original floor rusters.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Got my rear seats and carpet in. Also replaced the sunroof headliner. Starting to look nice inside.

Didn't put down any sound deadener, but doubled up the carpet in the rear.

I now have a functional car again. Was reminded of why some of this work might almost be worth it. This car drives so nice. Was also getting tired of driving my truck to work at 9mpg.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Lookin' good there! Very nice work with the welding as well! I'm not a fan of leather seats myself, but I have to admit I do wish my rear seats looked that good! Mine are 'very good', but not 'new good'!

li Arc

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I looked at the bquiet stuff, but after driving around with bare floors it didn't seem that bad so I figured it would be fine with just the carpet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
SPG panels holes are there.

Bonus. I replaced the drivers side seatbelt with one that was not broken and wouldn't continually tighten up. Looked at the back of the body panels and can see the square holes for the SPG panels are pre-drilled. Had been reading the panel install howto and was thinking that it would be a pain to have to drill them myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Being doing lots of little stuff.

I decided to go back and add some butyl sound deadener to the floors. I ended up buying Fatmat megamat. Seems to work pretty well

I added a keyless entry kit. My SPG had an aftermarket alarm with central locking and remote window control. I didn't want the alarm and didn't really need (or want to wire up) the remote window control but I missed the keyless entry. The white car came with a 5 wire actuator already installed in the door. Three wires go to the central locking unit and two go to the keyless controller. Installing this way as opposed to the way show on twinsaabs with a simple 2 wire actuator leaves you with functioning central locking as well as keyless. All you need is two wires to the drivers door, power and ground. The central locking wiring remains intact. $17 on ebay for the controller and you can pick up a 5 wire actuator for between $10 and $20.

Had my 8 year old help me strip all the uselful electronics from the SPG. He loved it. He kept asking if he could take more stuff off. Pretty soon he was handing me all the vent ducting and the heater vent control valves. I didn't have the heart to make him stop.

Today, I pulled the new drivers side axle and hub with new wheel bearing and ball joints from the SPG. I had a bad boot on the white turbo and figured that I may as well grab it all. Removed it all and installed as one piece. It was surprisingly easy to do like that. Last piece I am going to remove before getting rid of the SPG. I have removed everything of value that I could use on my turbo or that I have room to store. I even pulled and installed all the tinted windows while going through and fixing all the felts.

Anyone want an 88 SPG shell with a good motor and tranny? Pinion bearing whine, but no other apparent problems. I don't have any place to store it.

Free to a good home willing to have it towed from my driveway. Otherwise it's going to be crushed.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I am looking at your work here. I think the white car can be made to become something really special!

I am sure its alot easier when you have the donor sitting right there you can just walk across the yard and pull the bits you need.

Not many white C900's around except your comrad there in Canada.

Looking forward to great things here;ol;...
Can you send me the page the Canadian SPG is on? I live in Calgary, Alberta and last summer there was a beautiful white SPG that fits your description parked down my street. I wanted to contact the owner but never got the opportunity.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Can you send me the page the Canadian SPG is on? I live in Calgary, Alberta and last summer there was a beautiful white SPG that fits your description parked down my street. I wanted to contact the owner but never got the opportunity.
B202NUT has apparently been banned. The white SPG clone he was referring to is Rob Marsh's. The link is the one I posted in your thread. I think he is RM'92SPG on here.

http://www.datazap.net/sites/Svensk_exports_images/SPG_Install_Guide/Saab_SPG_Panel_Guide.html

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
He sometimes lives in Calgary, and sometimes in Vancouver, so it may or may not be him. But he's got a whale-tale and darkened rims, I believe. I also believe he operates "svensk-exports" on eBay, look him up or PM him here.

li Arc

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Didn't do much this summer, but while I am here I guess I'll post some random pics.

Saw my SPG at the pick and pull a few weeks after I got rid of it.

I am refinishing my SPG panels and a spare grill. Going for a grey metalic.

What do you think?

I wanted to go matching cirrus white, but I am having to repair a couple of them from the crash damage. While sanding, I could see how wavy they were even where repair was not required. I didn't think I had enough patience to get them flat enough for gloss paint.

Otherwise I just did a bunch paint chip repair and buffed and waxed it.

Thinking about a T5.2 swap this winter. The 2.1 CPS with the 93 9000 turbo trigger wheel, T5.5 harness with 2 extra wires and T5.2 ecu, keep the air conditioning. Need to get busy and finish up the cosmetic work.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thinking about a T5.2 swap this winter. The 2.1 CPS with the 93 9000 turbo trigger wheel, T5.5 harness with 2 extra wires and T5.2 ecu, keep the air conditioning. Need to get busy and finish up the cosmetic work.
Did you know there is a way to get a T5.5 ecu to run a T5.2 bin (maps).

You have to tune the T5.2 bin, then double it up into a file and flash it to the T5.5 ecu. There are guys on here who have done it.

It is getting harder to get T5.2 ecus, they did not come out for very long, maybe only a few months.

Hope you can find one.
Also, the CPS sensors are getting hard to get.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.