SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, funny story (no, not really)... I spilled a bunch of cola down into my ignition lock. Now, if it is especially cold the syrup becomes a super-strong adhesive and the key won't turn. Since I've abandoned using the proper key ages ago, I found I can use a flathead screwdriver bit on a ratchet handle to get enough leverage to turn the thing. Then, once everything thaws out it's okay again.

Anybody recommend pouring additional (less harmful) liquid down there? Like, maybe water (yikes) or penetrating oil? Would I do damage with either one? Obviously, the water could end up being a terrible idea if it freezes in there. What sort of drainage goes on down there? What about acetone? Y'know, because it evaporates?

I'd like to avoid a new cylinder if possible... it's my own stupid fault...setting a can of soda down there, I should know better!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
just drip some oil down there.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome... I think I'll try antifreeze first.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I remember people saying they poured boiling water down there too. Like a few hundred ml. I was worried about it shorting out the area; however, I did it anyways last year on my convertible and it works a treat. Fired her up yesterday in near freezing weather without issues.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
dasander said:
Water?? I would use WD 40 before water.
Oil won't dissolve sugar.
You can use water, then blow it out with compressed air, then use WD-40. Or you can just use anti-freeze which will dissolve sugar as well as water.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Antifreeze works wonders... I poured half a capful down the key hole, worked it around and a few minutes later it was turning well. I am gonna let it mellow for a few more days then put some of that black powdery lock lube in the lock to keep the tumblers lubed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts