SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I remember seeing a thread about this, and I know I sound cheap, but the plugs are only 5,000 miles old (but my turbo started blowing oil:cry: ) and now they are all black and sooty.

So, is it safe to clean my plugs, and if so what should I use? Would just carb cleaner and a wire brush be ok?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
At the VW dealer, each bay had a little sand blaster/plug tester.I believe the same can be bought at Harbor Freight for less than $69 bucks.

But, I think a few swipes with your wire brush would be sufficient..
How about some pics, before and after. The ones from the Honda Accord were still good after 30K..I haven't changed any sparkers in years...:cheesy:
Lead free gas, and high voltage make this possible..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a glass bead blaster and a sodium blaster both at school, would those be better to use?

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
white96850turbo said:
I have a glass bead blaster and a sodium blaster both at school, would those be better to use?
There are commercially available bead blasters just for spark plugs. I believe these use plastic beads and there may be a concern about cracking the ceramic insulator on the center electrode if the glass bead blaster is high velocity enough. Wire brush, per EW works, and so does a small piece of sandpaper. Re-Gap after you clean them, whatever you use.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
I have used glass beading on plugs for years to no detriment. I will state they come out clean and nice - if you do this be sure to do 4 things

1. Blast carefully - do not over do it
2. Inspect them carefully after blasting - make sure the ceramic is not deteriorated
3. Blow them clean to make sure there is no glass bead in them as you do not want that in your pistons
4. Be sure to use anti-seize on the threads when reinstalling

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Really?
You'd use a couple bucks in blaster to save $8 in plugs?

I could see if you have a problem fouling them....
but after 30k, I'd give 'em a pat on the ***, and call it a "good game"

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
Well, I have the cabinet - and since the bead is recirculated...it does not cost me anything but a few seconds. Compressed air, sure....but if I am already using the compressor....and I have done it simply to dress them sometimes, or to clean fouling on the Brit cars...as with the manual choke and all - they get fouled. :cheesy: Or if I did them at the shop I used to work out...well then they really cost nothing to clean up.

And since none of the shops in my area carry the NGKs for the saab - I have to order them - taking time and more than $8. Not much more - but cleaning is a few minute job.

On the 97 - I simply change them once a year - for giggles - at about 30K.

Unless of course you were referring to the plug blasters...in which case...nevermind ;)

·
Registered
956 Posts
some years ago i would use a small fine peice of sand paper for the plugs on my motorcycle. did this because in the process of rebuilding the motor i had to play with the carburator to get the mixture right when i threw the motor back in. so i was fouling out plugs very very quickly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts