SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had my first oil change I opened the hood a few days later to add some washer fluid only to notice this...

What should I use to clean this up with? Didn't know they'd leave a mess behind when changing the oil. Should I even bother?

·
Banned
631 Posts
oil wont harm the plastic too much. Im taking thats clean engine oil on your cover.

You can just wipe it with some sort of degreaser. You can use dishsoap if you really want too.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
This probably happens to most of us--I know it does to me. Unless the grease monkey spills zero oil there is going to be some on the engine. Oil rags and even the oil bottle can leave stains.
Good thing is that it does clean up.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
C'est trés, trés grave. :eek:

Take it to the dry cleaners :roll:

·
Registered
194 Posts
No one suggested that he take it back to who changed the oil and have them clean it! That is what I have done in the past on other cars albeit I don't wait until I get home...I do it before I leave the place. And I routinely found tools, rags, etc. left behind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
try this :

1/5 dish washer ( good quality one ) and 4/5 water, mix and spray on the engine, waite for 2 min and if needed wipe with cloth, then rinse with water , i do that once every 3 month, engine look great.

i used on my SAAB, and on my old mistubishi, and on my old and current Renault Clio

·
Registered
502 Posts
tozion said:
After I had my first oil change I opened the hood a few days later to add some washer fluid only to notice this...

What should I use to clean this up with? Didn't know they'd leave a mess behind when changing the oil. Should I even bother?
I'm not so sure about using a degreaser on the plastic. It might harm the lastic.

A wet, soapy rag should do the job. It will take time, however. You'll need to repeatedly soak, wipe, and re-soak the rag to get the plastic clean. Unfortunately, you can't soak the engine with water.

Remember how soap works: it's a detergent--it makes the oil (on the plastic) soluble in the water (soaked up in the rag). As the rag will soak up oil, you'll need to repeatedly clean the rag.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
This probably happens to most of us--I know it does to me. Unless the grease monkey spills zero oil there is going to be some on the engine. Oil rags and even the oil bottle can leave stains.
Good thing is that it does clean up.
If the guy filling his oil used a funnel, then my a.s.s. is a banjo. With a funnel and carefully pouring the oil, there should be no oil spills.

Obviously, the guy doing the job didn't give a damn. Typical.

·
Registered
413 Posts
DrSandman said:
I'm not so sure about using a degreaser on the plastic. It might harm the lastic.

A wet, soapy rag should do the job. It will take time, however. You'll need to repeatedly soak, wipe, and re-soak the rag to get the plastic clean. Unfortunately, you can't soak the engine with water.

Remember how soap works: it's a detergent--it makes the oil (on the plastic) soluble in the water (soaked up in the rag). As the rag will soak up oil, you'll need to repeatedly clean the rag.
If your worried about getting the engine too wet, the plastic engine cover simply lifts off. Just need to remove the three torx screws. once its off its a lot easier to takle the clean up job. Also likelyhood is that some of the oil will have seeped under the join of the engine/ engine cover, so youll be able to wipe that up as well.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
A couple times a year I spray tire shine on the plastic and rubber under the hood. It protects the rubber/plastic and allows it to be cleaned easier.

The belts are pretty well covered, but don't spray them or they will squeak. It will protect the other parts under the hood.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ditto. I armor-alled the underhood plastic. Looks VERY nice.

I was kind of surprised at how dirty it was under there with only ~1500 miles on the ODO.

Anybody know how to shine up the aluminum?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts