SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used some typical CRC TB and Air Intake cleaner. Cleaned up the grime. Now as the car was getting warmer, the RPMs were slowly building. I think around normal operating temp I was at 1550 RPM. Does the ECU need to adjust to the cleaning? Did I mess something up?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You were at 1,550 RPM at idle? I've cleaned my TB lots of times and have never had to "relearn" or anything like that. It just works. Dumb question, but you didn't leave something wedged in there to keep the throttle plate open, did you? Usually when I do mine I wedge an eraser in there. You could always try disconnecting the battery for a few min and see if it corrects itself. I've never had that happen before.

Another question: did you remove the throttle body to clean it, or did you just do it in place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were at 1,550 RPM at idle? I've cleaned my TB lots of times and have never had to "relearn" or anything like that. It just works. Dumb question, but you didn't leave something wedged in there to keep the throttle plate open, did you? Usually when I do mine I wedge an eraser in there. You could always try disconnecting the battery for a few min and see if it corrects itself. I've never had that happen before.

Another question: did you remove the throttle body to clean it, or did you just do it in place?
Nope I didn’t get anything wedged in there. I did use a generous amount of the cleaner and it barely wanted to idle at all after cleaning it. I had to almost WOT to actually let it “breathe” and perform correctly again. Assuming the cleaner went through the intake manifold. And maybe I’ll disconnect it tomorrow and let it sit for a little bit. I did recently change my battery (Monday) and the car felt strong and responsive before the computer and codes caught up with itsef. Before I cleaned it felt like I was pulling an extra ton of weight behind me. Just sluggish. And I kept it on. Just removed the plastic tubing to it and opened the butterfly and sprayed away.

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
I usually recommend removing the throttle body when cleaning it, that way you can make sure the cleaner and crud doesn’t make its way into the TB electronics...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Or a bit or rag goes down into the manifold. For cleaning it on the car, I'd disconnect the battery (thereby preventing any freak combination of circumstances which might cause the ECU to drive the throttle plate closed while your finger's in there), put a glove on, get a cloth that isn't going to shed fibres, soak it in cleaner and rub the sides and the plate.

The area below the plate is much easier to thoroughly clean from below. The edges of the plate near the pivots are easily done with a toothbrush but from above you'd only get to see two of the four.

I had the vac tube between the inlet manifold nipple (the one with two tubes from it) to the fuel pressure regulator pop off. Idle speed became 1200. Not as high as yours but I'd be looking for leaking vacuum tubes. The other common issue is the o-ring around the top of the TB, which gets distorted/crushed and lets air in or out depending on boost or otherwise.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts