SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the cd changer that fits the stock radio for my 97 900se (the DC625 I think) a while back and am getting sick of the intermittent functionality of it. It seems like when I pull the fuses or reconnect the battery the changer will work for a day or two, then I'll go to start the car the next time and it won't work.

I've heard that there is a faulty chip on the back of the stock radio that causes this problems, ever hear of this?

Any thoughts??? I want to keep the original look of the SAAB interior, but I am close to buying an aftermarket head unit so i can listen to cd's

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I cannot comment on your particular issue, as I've never had to endure the OEM headunit, my post is based on the point of for a few dollars you can fill the 3/4 DIN slot that is left when you fit any old aftermarket unit that'll do whatever you want.
There's loads of stuff out there that'll intergrate with cellphones or Ipods, or play wma/mp3 files on discs - better still some manufacturers have units that play files from memory cards, my question is why even try to keep the OEM look with all that flexibility out there, both cheap and reliable.

I suppose I'm asking you to trade cosmetics against functionality/quality - you choose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the funny thing is that i already bought the 3/4 DIN pocket from genuinesaab.com. I was just seeing if anyone knew of this problem, but I think I am just going to put an alpine in it, I love the one I had in my old blazer.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
It's a more common problem than it should be. At one time Clarion would repair the problem for a set price, but I don't think they do it anymore. You might try www.saabradio.com. I don't know the guy, but his webpage says he can repair your factory radio for $90. I'm sure he knows all about the NG900 radio's changer problems. It is nice having that factory radio with the huge display and speed-dependent volume.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts