SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a Clarion (ca. '96) head unit plug directly into the factory plug of the 900?
Is there a wire harness required, and if so, where online can I find one?
Looked around on Crutchfield.com and didn't find anything under wire harness....

In the meantime, I have the original car stereo thinking that there's a tape in it, even after I took the tape out. Normally, upon turning off the stereo, the tape ejects, but not this time. The tape stayed in the stereo all night, until the next morning, when I saw I couldn't eject. Bringing it home & taking the top cover off, I was able to remove the tape, but now... the stereo part that keeps the tape down, is down... I can't insert another tape, and it keeps rewinding at random times. **sigh**

Just felt like sharing.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I don't think that the 1996 unit will swap directly into the c900. There were LOTS of changes in audio technology, so a model year for the c900 would help.

Contact Wasyl at http://www.saabradio.com and ask him about your situation. He will know instantly the details on the fit from year to year.

He will also fix the existing head unit, but be warned: He is SLOW.

·
4,637 Posts
If the tape ejects automatically on turnoff, the carriage is held down by an electromagnet. Have you tried pressing the eject button with the machine on?

While it's apart, see can you identify the electromagnet (probably a flat square face with some bit of the tape carriage stuck to it. Try to prise them apart (gently!) to see if that frees it up...

·
Banned
637 Posts
Saab sells such bits.. They have 'several' adapter harnesses listed.
Onna Other hand the Saab supplied Clarions are errrr. Lame.
Younger son bought a $100 Clarion Cd/radio unit.. new.. for his Civic.. it easily outperforms the Clarion setups in both my c900 and 9000t.
Oem bits are hardly even worth fixing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
just in case enybody is looking, it is a clarion ARX757Oz single CD
im goign to look around at stereo shops to ee if there ever was a wire harness made for this thing to fit into a SAAB. it has 3 little banana plugs in the back that are red, and 3 that are white.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I looked for months for an adaptor for a 900 but couldn't find any. Found some that promised to be compatible with my car, but really weren't.

Finally I resorted to cut, splice, solder, shrinktube technique, and it has worked out fine, except my antenna does not work all that great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts