SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my driver's side city light bulb go out a few days ago, so I bought some replacement bulbs and planned today to replace them. It does not seem physically possible to replace the bulbs using the 4cyl method. There is no room at all. On the drivers side, after removing the battery covers, and headlight cover, I could only just touch the wiring to the city light. On the passenger side, I can't even touch the wires as there are some A/C lines in the way. Is there a trick that I'm not aware of?

Would it be easier to remove the entire headlight assembly? I haven't looked too closely on the SS but on my OG9-3 I could remove the headlights in a matter of minutes (lots of practice due to the headlight wiper issues).

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Entire lamp removal requires bumper removal too uynfortunately.

They are fiddly to get to and possible with large hands, have you pulled off the filler neck from your washer tank? It pops off. This gives you a little more room to access the bulb. i had to tug the actual wires rather than the plastic holder as i could not get to it well enough, but its such a loose fit that it wont rip the wiring out.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the driver's side, I didn't know that came off.

I think that I could probably get the driver's side out, but the passenger's side with the A/C lines looks to be almost impossible.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had to do this recently on my v6, driver side washer bottle just pull it up. On the passenger side i did it by having to practically remove the air box.

·
Registered
232 Posts
In no particular order:

Yes, to remove the city bulb socket, the manual says to pull on the wires- they've been reinforced for this task.

On the Driver's side- also, remove the fuse panel at the front of the battery box, lift it up and swing it off to the side, it helps a lot.

On the Passenger side...remove the airbox completely. The bottom of the box is held in place by 3 rubber grommets that hold 3 protruding posts molded into the box. You'll see what I mean when you pull it. As for the A/C pipes, yep, work around 'em. It is possible. Be patient and deliberate.

They are tricky to get at. Make sure you clean all bulbs with a soft cloth and isopropyl before reinstalling, as this process is a pain, and you don't want to be repeating it soon.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate these crappy lights. I actually cut the wire going to them so they would come on.
I agree, but I bought a set of HID match bulbs, so hopefully they will look a bit better than the stock yellow ones.

Thanks for the tips, it will have to wait until next weekend now, but it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's a freakin' nightmare....but it is possible. The non-drivers side one is the worst because the AC lines have no give to them. I now have some PIAA Ion Yellows and they look great....just did it two weekends ago and am embarassed how long I spent on it!

Sean

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yup, the AC line was hell when I was changing out my xenon bulbs. What I did which helped is I removed the two screws holding the headlight, remove the grill tabs, and jiggle the headlight outwards, it will pull out a bit - this will give you a additional couple of cm's to work space.

I then thought I wanted to disconnect the city lights while I was it, but I was discouraged. I didn't you know you can simply yank on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts