SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1983 Saab 900 S and the CIS has to be rebuilt is this an easy project? I saw the parts looks like there are many washers and o rings etc.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
What's it doing/not doing, who diagnosed it, what were the line pressure and cold/warm control pressure readings, is the Lambda system working, how long has it been sitting?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's it doing/not doing, who diagnosed it, what were the line pressure and cold/warm control pressure readings, is the Lambda system working, how long has it been sitting?
Hi Jim, from what I am told they tried to change the square ( they said o ring but i think a gasket) not sure exactly and this did not help the car to run, I am sorry to be vague but I don't have the car and cannot answer all your questions, but the Saab mechanic said the fuel distributor was not functioning properly, not sure how long it sat, but the current owner was driving the car and said it ran well before this issue, not sure when he stopped trying to find the part (distributor) and of course like all of us he has other priorities (other project cars) and essentially gave up, there is fuel to the distributor meaning the fuel pump is working, the car will run with a squirt of starter fluid but that is all. I have purchased a fuel distributor for the car on eBay and will hopefully fire up when installed, if so, I will rebuild the old unit. I will ask those questions you have posed and see what I get for answers, they should know since the tech who diagnosed it is a Saab tech and has been for a long time.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Fuel distributors rarely fail. They rarely work properly again if they're taken apart.

Line and control pressures are critical, a CIS-specific fuel pressure gauge is needed to measure that.
You'll have to get the mixture in the right neighborhood for the Lambda to start working.
If all of this is Greek to you, you're going to need help with tools, adjustments, and diagnosis.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I'd definitely echo Jim's sentiments. Messing with the fuel distributor shouldn't be taken lightly.

If it did sit, they can get gummed up and that's a problem. I tried to resurrect the one on my '80 and had zero luck. I ended up pilfering one from a junkyard Volvo. Not a 100% match, but close enough for government work. ish.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I replaced the fuel distributor and mass air flow...and I attached my 12v battery pack to the battery because it was dead...eventually after high to low revs and replacing plugs it seemed to run but not perfect idle was high...and I left it running eventually a short developed and started melting wires...the tech told me because I left my battery pack on it caused this problem...so car is dead and some wiring repair needs to happen...I just dont know why a pack attached to a low charge battery would make this happen...so fixed one problem and created a mess. Needless to say I am bummed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have taken a picture as.to which wire but it was one that went to the fuses after the connector and started melting there as well. It all started when I could not shut off the car then the fuel gauge was dead and when I turned the key to the right it went off and done. I would have to see a diagram to show you, it was from the first connector after the fuses, the connector is the first one as the harness goes down the fender then toward.the motor. The tech is familiar with electrical wiring issues so I will leave it to them to sort out...hopefully it did not hurt to much. I will see if I can find a diagram.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Assuming that thing was directly connected to the battery terminals, it could not be responsible for the wire damage.

If I had to guess, something is shorted out or connected in the wrong way but it could also be a missing or damaged ground wire. It's definitely a problem "in the car" and not something the battery pack had anything to do with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts