SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some Cim and Immobilizer facts that I have found out during my issues that are not listed online.

Cim 1: If you choose to install a new CIM yourself you will find some instructions online, they are vague. To remove the CIM you have to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. Disconnect the battery and make sure your steering wheel is unlocked. Turn your wheel so that the radio controls are at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock postion. Find yourself an old flathead screwdriver and bend it 90* it should be 3-4" from tip to bend.
Insert your tool into the openings behind the steering wheel at the thumb rest positions and pull down to release the U shaped spring which holds the airbag in place. Remember you have to release both sides of the U shaped spring. *The rest of the instructions are listed online*

Cim 2: The steering wheel lock is also part of the anti theft, so if your having other anti theft issues you may get a steering lock malfunction

Immobilizer 1: If you install an engine yourself USE YOUR OLD ECM or you'll get an immobilizer failure. The anti theft looks for the VIN verification in the ECM.

Immobilizer 2: If you choose to use the ECM that comes with the engine, you will need to get it married to the other anti theft components

Immobilizer 3: You can add up to 4 new components to your anti theft unit with tech II

Immobilizer 4: There is no way to bypass the immobilizer it needs to be functional for the car to start

Immobilizer 5: The only way to program the anti theft is a Tech II, and it can only be done at a dealership because there are certain codes that GM releases to program the anti theft.

Here's a little about my car, I installed a used engine with ECM, and CIM and Key Fob I brought from Ebay. Took my car to the dealer and had everything Synced/married for on $47.54 + the $10 I tipped the tech. So all you guys thats paying out the *** if you loose your keys. I dont see why If they can just add another FOB to your system.

I am not saying I know it all, I am just trying to help the Saab community with my experiances.

Reactions: Luckiee13

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Regarding the keys - if you have at least one key that starts the car, adding another is inexpensive. If you lose all your keys, you have to replace the CIM and THAT is expensive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Had no working key on my car, i had a cim and key from one car, a ecm from another and my twice that came with my car. The tech synced all of them together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts