SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a '94 Commemorative, and upon trying to plug my cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter, I realized that the electrical outlet was too large.

Is the outlet only supposed to be used for the cigarette lighter? Can I buy an adapter somewhere?

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
I used to wedge a piece of matchbook cover in it so it would make contact.
speaking of which, I have tried about 5 different cigarette lighters in the socket; none worked, all were used. But the cell phone adapter works just fine.

Whats the deal with the lighters, were all the ones i tried damaged???

Should I now try a brand new one?

·
Registered
959 Posts
speaking of which, I have tried about 5 different cigarette lighters in the socket; none worked, all were used. But the cell phone adapter works just fine.

Whats the deal with the lighters, were all the ones i tried damaged???

Should I now try a brand new one?
I think I have about 3 never used OEM cig lighters. I think thesaabsite sells them for $38

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you peer inside the lighter socket you will see the clips retaining the lighter or adaptor. WIth the ignition switched OFF, so no power is going to the socket (or take the fuse out), gently bend the two prongs in towards the centre. These when they heat up release the cigarette lighter. Getting them right so the lighter heats up enough is a matter of trial and error.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my only options are to find a charger with wider prongs or wedge something in an electrical socket??

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
So my only options are to find a charger with wider prongs or wedge something in an electrical socket??

go to the junkyard and pull a 12v adapter socket from one of the American heaps, wire it to your existing cigarette lighter and mount it at the side of the center console.;ol;

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
When 900s were current production, SAAB sold an accessory plug that fit the socket. They may still be available somewhere.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Usually when you buy a radar detector you can ask them to send you a little ferrule thing that helps it hold in better.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The instructions I posted will also help hold your adaptor in, as it's the prongs that hold the end in and because it doesn't heat up then it won't release.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts