SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i don't smoke so i don't know if the cigarette jack still drains the battery after the car is off. i recently lost the lighter itself somewhere when using the jack to charge a device. so the car has an empty hole there where the lighter is supposed to be. today my battery died. i haven't driven my car in 2 weeks and i haven't driven it lately without the device plugged in. this could be a coincidence (old battery) or it could mean that i really should find the lighter. can you let me know if the absence of a lighter may have caused this? thank you.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Coincidence ;)

I knew someone once who would never pull appliance plugs out of their sockets in the house, she was worried that the electricity would "run out" :p

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Having the lighter barrel in or out makes no difference. The socket does not have power to it when the ignition is off (unless modded to be connected to a permanent live)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
out of curiosity, if the barrel is out and empty while the car is running, does the socket still receive power?

of all days to discover my battery was dead, today was the NYC marathon. all the big streets with the auto suppliers were conveniently blocked off. :evil:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
blixahaha said:
out of curiosity, if the barrel is out and empty while the car is running, does the socket still receive power?
Stick your finger in and find out.

[EDIT] JK

[EDIT2] yes there is power there whether barrel is present or not. Pushing the barrel in makes the circuit and heats up the coil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reminds me of when i was 8 and a girl in my class was told that there was no way she could fit a little finger in the electric pencil sharpener.

so no i'm not falling for that :cheesy:

i'm going to take a look for a replacement lighter plug. thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
blix, I think it was just an old battery. I keep power jacks constantly plugged in the car to my iPod and whatnot. As long as the car is off, nothing gets juice. Otherwise I would have gona through many batteries by now :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
No Lighter

When I purchased my 99 9-5 V6 in Sept there was not a lighter in the plug. Since I generally use the plug to charge my ipod, cell phone, etc. I haven't bought a new one. I have had absolutely no problems not having the lighter, and I have no plans to buy one.

I have noticed that when I turn the car off, there is no power to the lighter, by the lack of light to my chargers, and the beep in my ear if the phone is plugged in when turning off the car. I do make sure the unplug the charger when I am no using it so as to make sure that the charger is not damaged by drawing power with nothing attached.

In short, I wouldn't worry about not having a lighter to fill the empty hole.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Gazolzwurf said:
Stick your finger in and find out.

[EDIT] JK

[EDIT2] yes there is power there whether barrel is present or not. Pushing the barrel in makes the circuit and heats up the coil.
That is just the most foolish advice ever given :evil:

Everyone knows you have to lick your finger first :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts