SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no coolant in engine...the dipstick is clean oil. Nothing read on dash but my car left a nice ice cream spill in driveway. Open coolant reservoir and it flowed like and unlimited sundae. Where do I start. Should I be looking for a new SAAB??

This is my third Saab and first ever issue. Please help. Now that Saab aren’t popular no one will touch it or they’d like to charge an arm and leg just to see what the problem is.

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I’ll assume that you have a 2010/2011 9-5? But regardless I’d start with a full cooling system flush followed by a cooling system pressure test, which would help detect a blown head gasket or crack in block/head. It could be something as simple as very neglected cooling system maintenance, but I’m not feeling to warm and fuzzy about it. If it happens again after the flush and cooling system test, then a cylinder compression test is in order IMO.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Third Saab and "first ever issue"?! Dunno about anyone else, but I'd be out buyin lottery tickets :D Sorry. Had to inject a little humor there.....in all seriousness, yes, you're correct. Very expensive to have ANY car worked on, these days. Just a fact of life, now. I believe the national average, for shop rate (what is charged per hour by most garages), is around $120/hour. Take a broken car anywhere and ask them to "figure out what's wrong" and you're gonna have, at least, a couple hours diagnostic time involved (not to mention the cost of the tow if it can't be driven).
Sadly, and I'm not trying to be negative, but realistic, if you aren't able to work on your Saab or know someone who is willing to "work on your Saab" or you don't have a pile of money to dump into the car, then, yes, you may want to look for a new car (not a Saab). I'm assuming a lot, here, because there wasn't a whole lot of "background" in your post. These cars can easily turn into a "money pit", depending on your circumstances. One could easily find a car for a few grand (what it might cost to repair your Saab) that would literally run for years with little more than oil changes, tires and brakes. All depends what you want to do.....or drive. Bottom line: You're gonna have to spend money to figure out what's wrong. After that, it may or may not be worth fixing. To paraphrase the previous poster....."not feeling too warm and fuzzy". Best of luck to you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts