SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm considering getting a chip (probably nordic). I have a cat back and intake so i think that would be like a stage 2 chip...but a downpipe is not far down the road. My only problem is that my car has 128,000 miles. Would this not be a good idea to tune up an engine with this many miles? I have already put about 4,000 miles on running 15psi with no problems....Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
I am knocking on the door to 148,000. Have been stage 2 for over two years and am setting up for stage 3 or 4 now (put on Viggen IC this early Spring and MP downpipe is here, may have a chance to slap it on this Monday). Give the car a really thorough going over and full tune up. Change out all your major fluids, especially coolant and oil. Use the very best quality fluids you can find. Pop in a set of new plugs and new air filter. Clean out and check your IAC and your PCV check valve. Finally, carefully inspect your vacuum lines and replace any that do not pass visual and tactile examination. Do the same with the turbo hoses from the turbo all the way to the throttle body transition casting. Finally, you must upgrade your BPV if you have the older Bosch plastic one that was not stock on the Viggen. The stock one will not stand up for long to increased boost pressures. This upgrade will cost about $45.00 to get the Viggen style Bosch unit or up to $200.00 to get a fancy machined one.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
yea, i got 133,000 and still counting, and will soon be a stage 3 car...so i say go ahead and chip it, but then again do what you think would best suit you...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My buddy has a 96 with over 140k and he just put a stg 4+ sqr on his. If its been maintained then go for it, but I would wait for the DP then get the stg 3 nordic, its really worth it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks for all the input. Right now I have the speedparts intake, a bov, cat-back, and mbc. I recently checked most of the vacuum lines (many were in bad shape). What are IAC and PCV valves? After I get a downpipe i should run a nordic stage 3 ecu? How many psi is that? I'm getting excited thinking about all that boost!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I don't see you doing any permentant damage, but the minor components on your car are more worn out and can fail. Mainly your vacume lines. But go for it man.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Yep, hoses and vac lines are the only worries on high mileage cars. As for 128k being high mileage, wanna trade? I just ticked over 190k miles on mine. I have a new DP, Viggen IC, MBC+A, modded exhaust and no trouble. I still plan on an ECU upgrade at some point, too.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
my '99 has 160k on it...
and the last ~40k have been me beating the Everliving snot out of it.

I wouldn't Worry about chipping a higher-mileage saab.
The most likely failure-point will be your turbo seals/bearings.
The motors are pretty darn tough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts