SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting a bit of the mod fever lately, I haven't done much in the past 6 months and I'm thinking about a stage 1 or 2 this spring.

Basically I can't decide if it's worth it or not, and I'm worried about stressing my 114k old engine. It's been maintained well by myself and at least the owner before me but I'm guessing asking it to output more at this age probably isn't easy on it. I would like to do a rebuild in the next 2ish years with a friend who goes to an autotech school but that's further down the road.

At this point I have a MBC+A running right below fuel cut, standard exhaust except for a tad better flowing muffler, not a big difference there, custom cold air intake for the summer which gets pulled up for the winter. Always run 93 Octane now and full synth every 4k. Plugs every other oil change.

If I get an upgraded ECU I'm guessing I would have to switch off my stock blow off valve(GS kit), and make a steering rack clamp based on Eric's website. I'm also worried about my little 15" wheels as traction is already sparse.

Basically what I'm asking is if you guys that have made the move believe it's worth it, and if you think it would be reasonably safe to add the extra stress.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have a powerchip ecu in my viggen. It was worth it for the $900 I spent. I've no experience with Nordic, Maptun, or BSR. With a fresh tune and a fresh DI I lose traction with my 225x40x18 generals through 3rd gear.

What is your goal with the car?

Rogo

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just that faster>slower. I don't plan on autocrossing or taking it to a track, but I would love to be pushing 260 lb/ft.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
My first Saab had about 120k miles on it when I started upgrading, got her from about 150bhp stock to about 280bhp over time.

If its in good shape, why not ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts