SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=35053&highlight=water+torture
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread...=water+torture</a>
So, I did this today, literally an hour ago, and wow. I'm very impressed by how much better my car runs after doing this. There is MUCH more low end torque (which I was surprised by) and the turbo leak is all but gone (I didn't notice it at all when I did the test drive). It was very simple and fairly quick to do. All in all, I think it took about 15-20 minutes of actual prep, execution, and clean up time, including the driving after to clean the rest of the top engine cleaner out. I didn't use Seafoam, but instead used Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). I did the "steam cleaning" before the MMO and then out came the clouds with the MMO. I was expecting SOME smoke, but what came out was a gigantic rain cloud (full of toxic vapor of course, no fun to play it, trust me! haha) of MMO.

I highly recommend doing this because I have noticed a substantial difference in power. BTW, the car has over 136k on the odometer.

Cheers
Sno

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The link repair/modification was successful.

Interesting, but be careful:cheesy:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked like a charm. I getting more boost (which doesn't seem right) and a much quicker spool from the turbo. I think this is a worthwhile 20-30mins.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Pulling a fine stream of water into the inlet is a very, very old method of steam cleaning the upper engine. Probably most usefull on a car that doesn't get revved high that much and does a lot of stop start short journeys. I might do it myself - can we get seafoam or any other upper engine cleaners here in the UK?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
snoborderphx said:
It worked like a charm. I getting more boost (which doesn't seem right) and a much quicker spool from the turbo. I think this is a worthwhile 20-30mins.
Not to sound like a smart***** or anything but how would this help turbo spoolup? I understand the concept of top engine cleaning and the decarbonizing effects that go along with it but don't understand how this improves spoolup. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can use any top engine cleaner. I used Marvel Mystery Oil because I did a little more research and found it to be comparable (if not better) and cheaper. You can also use Barryman's B-12 or something of the sorts. Both are less than $3.50USD at Wal-Mart.

As it pertains to the spooling of the turbo, this is designed to clean your intake/exhaust valves. If your valves are covered in deposits, then they are still opened the same amount of time, you less air is able to get into the combustion chamber because the hole is smaller. Increase the area that air can travel through, and you get more air in the combustion chamber, which means more air to push the turbines in the turbo. Also, this will help clean the deposits on the turbines in the turbo, and that means less rotational mass on the turbo, so it's easier for it to spool. But, in 3rd gear last night (very cool night) when I floored the pedal (while accelerating from 0) to pass someone and the apc showed the boost all the way to the end of the red and then it cut back after a slight hesitation. It's never done that before.

The vacuum hose I used was the one in the front by the radiator that leads to after the throttle body. It was the most accessible hose, about 1/8in big and sucks in. It's located right next to the battery. I hope that helps.

This is an older method with steam cleaning, but it still works. This is more to help loosen the deposits so the MMO or B-12 can penetrate deeper to remove the deposits. And yes, this is really only for those that baby their cars. I got my car with 134k on it, and it has 136k (yeah, in just over a month!), and I don't know who owned it before. That's why I did this.

Cheers
Stephen

·
Registered
267 Posts
Really, how safe is this practice on our 93 turbos? :confused:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
As safe as water injection. The only danger is if you suck in too much water at
once by using a large diameter tube and you hydrolock your engine:nono; Water in the form of steam cannot harm an engine - even a 9-3!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's right. I used the tube that runs from the BPV to the Manifold, and I didn't have any issues. When using the water, it will chug a little but when using the top engine cleaner, it will chug a LOT!!! Just be prepared for the smoke and chugging by doing this is a very open spot.

Sno

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ran approx 2 litres of water through BCV line this summer and was disappointed by lack of any improvement... Is it because I use Super most of the time and some REDEX occasionally?
I was wondering if I could repeat the procedure using so me chemicals as well, but then what it would be here in UK?
Cheers, Robert

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my opinion, water is more for the "after maintenance" procedure. Because the water doesn't really do much except loosen the deposits to allow the chemical to penetrate much deeper. I would say do the water treatment before each oil change because it's quick, easy, and doesn't have any negative side effects, but you must do the chemical treatment first to get the deposits off, then the water treatment for maintenance.

But, this is really only beneficial if you notice oil consumption in your car and/or you bought your car from someone who didn't drive it very hard. The deposits build at lower RPM's whereas if you frequently see higher RPM's then your car is able to "blow off" the newly formed deposits (after the chemical treatment of course).

Cheers
Sno

·
Registered
171 Posts
Shirozina said:
Likely you have a clean upper engine.
I'd like to believe it... my cam cover is "sweating" thanks to the PO (he pinched a DI cassette lead's sleeve slightly with it after headgasket change and didn't notice), I have a new gasket, I just do not fancy doing the job right now. And this is when I could see how clean it really is.
On the other hand- Maybe I was injecting the water too slow for it to work. Injections were every 1.5-2sec fo approx 1/3sec. It seemed enough for the engine to cough and struggle at 2-2.500 rpm's...
Does anyone know what kind of top engine cleaner could I use here in the UK? I didn't see any seafoam around.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just thought I'd bring this thread back to life for those of you that might see it for your summer maintenance and would enjoy the big white cloud-making process.

Sno

1 - 16 of 16 Posts