SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem and I'm not sure if this is the proper spot to post so forgive me if it's not.

I have a 2006 Saab 95. Recently I had an issue where the ignition was sticky or something. When I’d remove the key it would be like it was still in the on position. The engine would be off but the lights would stay on and the door would ding like the key was still in the ignition. I’d have to insert the key wiggle it and take it out to correct it. Sometimes a couple times. It happened enough times and eventually my battery drained died and I had to have it replaced. It was about 4 years old anyway. I brought it to Saab and they took the ignition switch out and cleaned it (so they say I think they just sprayed some stuff into it to clean it). This was about a month ago. Everything was fine up until recently. well i guess I noticed it recently.

Right now I get no door chime, no clicking sound for the blinker, no beep for backup assist, I don’t even get the display on the dash when I’m in reverse that the Backup Assist is activated. It stopped working out of the blue, one day a few days ago it worked for a short time until I turned the car off and back on again then it stopped again. So it worked once for about 10 min in about a 2-3 week span.

The radio, doors, locks, remote door lock, starting, turning off, electric seats, seat heaters, headlights, front and rear fog lights. The blinkers and hazards flash (inside and out) they just don't make the clicking sound. all dash lights and displays function as they should. I can hold a button down on the key and it will trigger panic with the the horn blasts and lights flash. However if I lock the doors with a window cracked and unlock it by hand and open the door, or if I crack the hood and lock the car then lift the hood the alarm does not go off like it has in the past.

Also shortly before the battery and ignition indecent and for a while after the tones I did get from the backup assist, door chime, the horn etc all were a bit muffled or slowed down. They were not their normal loud chipper self. I don't know how else to explain the change. Muffled is the closest I can get.

Someone told me it may be a fuse? I have my doubts but maybe? I just don’t know what fuse to check.

Does anybody know
- Where I would look for that info
- What else it may be
- Ideas
- Thoughts
- Other ideas what i can check

I think something happened when they did something with the ignition but I need some ammo to push back on them to refix it and not charge me $400+

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i'm no expert here but i'd say that your SID unit is at fault!

This unit controls things like.... everything including the "chirps", park assist beeps, even seat memory settings!

if there is no dispay at all maybe it is disconnected? you need to remove the radio to access it and it just clips out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I said that wrong. i do get my dash display it just doesn't change and say "assist" when I put it in reverse and get close to an object.

If the SID is at fault is that something I can buy at a parts store? Can parts stores test that or am I stuck going threw the dealer for that? :eek:

Thnaks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey I got the same problem with my wagon. Like "Gav" said its sounds like problem with SID. Mine never chimed or clicked for the directional indicators nor key-in-ign chime. So I got another & that too doesn't so it seems it's onto Tech-2 reprogrammers @ local indy cos it quite unlikely that both SID's speakers have packed up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The solution is very simple actually, there is a little speaker in the SID that fails.

Paul at Pixelfix replaces them, he has to order the speakers from Europe though.

www.pixelfix.info

He does great work and has a quick turn around time.
Got the problem with the no-chime business sorted out. Apparently it was the the speaker in the SID that packed up. So I just got another of about the same size (2.5-3 cm diameter) soldered it on & "presto" it's up n running.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, you all were right...
I soldered in Radio Shack part # 273-0092 (8-Ohm Mini Speaker- $2.99) and all my bells and whistles are back!

Thanks!
CT

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a good example of how valuable these forums can be. Awesome job to the member that posted the solution. That seemed like a hard problem to me to diagnose when i first read it. Now i'll know what to check if it ever happens to my car. I wonder if the original member who posted this got it fixed too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts