SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Almost a month and nothing but crickets. Bummer. I'm on the other side of Lake MI and also hope to find a get together closer than Carlisle. Maybe we can instigate an informal meetup if nothing else pops up on the radar.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The Milwaukee Saab Club meet is this Saturday at Grant Park in Milwaukee, WI. They have Picnic Area #5 reserved. There has been a pretty good turnout the last few years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any plans for 2019?

Fuel Fed will start meeting in Willamette again soon, Last Sunday of the month 9-11 am, downtown. Cool stuff shows up,typically they have a theme for each month (group-b, Ferrari, Porsche, WRC, pre-war, and a Vincent motorcycle group comes out once a summer it seems).

I'm in Logan Square, but could be tempted to take a drive out to IKEA sometime. Andersonville would be a fun spot to meet too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is currently somewhat off of the radar, however, there is another USA based SAAB Museum getting ready to open up in Chicago. I will get some more information and get it posted.

Also, about an hour North of Chicago there is a great little SAAB/Volvo repair shop. 2 of our local club members have purchased used SAABs(one is a very unique, very popular and rare 1- off SAAB) from this shop and we were treated to a shop tour. I have met some of the clientele at this shop and there appears to be a real atmosphere of loyal SAAB enthusiasts in and around this shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is currently somewhat off of the radar, however, there is another USA based SAAB Museum getting ready to open up in Chicago. I will get some more information and get it posted.

Also, about an hour North of Chicago there is a great little SAAB/Volvo repair shop. 2 of our local club members have purchased used SAABs(one is a very unique, very popular and rare 1- off SAAB) from this shop and we were treated to a shop tour. I have met some of the clientele at this shop and there appears to be a real atmosphere of loyal SAAB enthusiasts in and around this shop.
Any news on Saab museum in Chi? Also, what is the name of the Saab repair shop you mention? Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
@S.A.A.B.
Independent Auto Craft located in Crystal Lake is the repair shop that we took a tour of, it is about 40 miles north of Chicago. Tom Low is the owner and he gave us a tour of the shop, parts loft and boneyard. They specialize in SAABs and Volvos. Tom seems to be a really nice guy and the shop is well kept and organized.

Tom has an extremely rare 1963 SAAB 96, apparently 1 of only 2 factory built team rally cars that were imported to the USA. This car actually participated in the 1962 Malboro 12 Hour Road Rallye and was immediately sold to a collector in Washington, DC following the race. Unfortunately, the car was caught in a structure fire and damaged badly. However, it was behind the shop during our visit and I was able to get several pictures of the car.

A 1985 SPG and a 1970 95 were purchased from Tom. I helped drive the SPG back to Virginia. Both cars are stunning, mechanically sound and drive exceptionally well!!!

I have the name of the person who has the "SAAB Museum" in Chicago. I am still trying to get all of the details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@S.A.A.B.
Independent Auto Craft located in Crystal Lake is the repair shop that we took a tour of, it is about 40 miles north of Chicago. Tom Low is the owner and he gave us a tour of the shop, parts loft and boneyard. They specialize in SAABs and Volvos. Tom seems to be a really nice guy and the shop is well kept and organized.

Tom has an extremely rare 1963 SAAB 96, apparently 1 of only 2 factory built team rally cars that were imported to the USA. This car actually participated in the 1962 Malboro 12 Hour Road Rallye and was immediately sold to a collector in Washington, DC following the race. Unfortunately, the car was caught in a structure fire and damaged badly. However, it was behind the shop during our visit and I was able to get several pictures of the car.

A 1985 SPG and a 1970 95 were purchased from Tom. I helped drive the SPG back to Virginia. Both cars are stunning, mechanically sound and drive exceptionally well!!!

I have the name of the person who has the "SAAB Museum" in Chicago. I am still trying to get all of the details.
So cool, thx for the info. I'm gonna have to go check out that shop and their cars. It's about 35-40 minutes from from me. Must of been an amazing ride back home in that SPG! I brought my 9-3 V6T M6 Aero from FL, what an amazing ride and bonding experience with the car and wife and kids :roll: haha. Thx again!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts