SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you check the DIC? I am not sure if I'm having slight issues with my fuel or my electrical, but I figure I'd start at the DIC, since that could cause an issue. My fuel consumption dropped from ~24mpg US to about 21mpg US, so I'm trying to figure out why. It seems there has been a SLIGHT "misfire", like it misses everyone once in a while, and I think that might be what's causing it. I haven't really changed my driving style at all, so I don't understand the drastic change. I believe it could be due to the fact that I'm driving much more frequently on surface streets now that I have moved.

Any thoughts? Also, I do need to know how to test the specs of the DIC.

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
It seems to be either a yes or no thing with the DIC.

How are your plugs ? This the first thing to check.
Any codes? , if the misfiring persists, then a code should be generated..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check the spark plugs, but the misfire isn't really a misfire, but it seems like it doesn't burn completely, so I will check the plugs. But, when I pulled the plugs a few weeks ago, they all seemed perfect, in color, but that doesn't mean they are getting a complete burn.

I will replace the plugs this weekend, as well as the air filter to see if that could be he culprits. I don't think the DIC has ever been replaced and the car has 145k miles on it, and it's running strong, it's just I've noticed a change in the mpg, so I'm trying to correct that.

FYI, I am very particular about the gas I put in my car, so I don't believe that is the problem. Also, I do run fuel injecter cleaner with each tank since it's all of $.83 a tank, so I don't think it's a fuel issue.

-Stephen

·
Registered
345 Posts
The DI pulls in minutes so check the age as per the link I posted. The links are worth a look. Good info on them. Hope it helps.:roll:

PS - Good servicing is always useful ie-fuel filter! No matter how particular you are about fuel, an old filter will render it useless. I think its about 60k miles but not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts