SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am a 3x SAAB owner, but all relatively "newer"; a 2001 9-3 sedan (sold), 2003 9-3 vert (sold) and a 9000CSE, resurrected and running happily so far....

Tomorrow I am going to scope out a well maintained but longtime sleeping lime green '73 Sonett III. Done a lot of reading here on the forum and on the internet.... I have a 3-page checklist of things I need to evaluate to determine if I want it and then what I want to pay.

No questions for the time being, just an alert. Looking forward to filling y'all in when I get back and hearing all of the caveats coaching and warnings.

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am a 3x SAAB owner, but all relatively "newer"; a 2001 9-3 sedan (sold), 2003 9-3 vert (sold) and a 9000CSE, resurrected and running happily so far....

Tomorrow I am going to scope out a well maintained but longtime sleeping lime green '73 Sonett III. Done a lot of reading here on the forum and on the internet.... I have a 3-page checklist of things I need to evaluate to determine if I want it and then what I want to pay.

No questions for the time being, just an alert. Looking forward to filling y'all in when I get back and hearing all of the caveats coaching and warnings.
Good luck... make sure the floor pan and rockers are 100% solid... Brakes will likely need full replacement since the old brake fluid absorbs moisture (and the lines are steel, not cupronickel). The brake and clutch master cylinders are a major pain to get at and remove, they’ll have to go to White Post Restoration for rebuilding. The fuel system likely has rust in the tank too, so do a good tank flush before really driving it. And carefully feel out how the gearbox shifts. There are only a couple of people left alive still doing V4 gearbox rebuilds. They start at about $2500.00 for a rebuild assuming no major components are broken internally and you have to remove the engine to get it out.

Picture riding a go kart at 50 MPH, and that’s what owning a Sonett III is like. Loud, hot, and slow (only 73 HP...new...), but pretty cool nonetheless. I bought a southern car that was mostly rust free and still sank the better part of $30K into my resto before coming to my senses...lol

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joshinator,
I emailed you. Give me a shout when you can. I am overall very optimistic about this car, in fact I am a bit concerned that it will be more than I can afford. Floors totally rust free, rear is rust free, driver side rocker is the only problem and its pretty bad along the flat bottom. Body has some expected and totally not a problem for me spider cracks and some notches. Interior is complete and in pretty good shape.
Oh and its a 71, and it started right up on a half gallon of fuel. Hydraulics will need redo. And needs tires, looks like Vredestein is the only sensible choice $500 plus install.
How do I upload pics?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I found better tire options for less money that's a start, and reviewing my 140+ pics I am wondering if someone por 15ed over rusty floors.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts