SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
My 08 Edna edition has a broken check valve at the top of the engine between the oil trap and throttle body. I know this is a common problem and i have the replacement valve ready to install. My question is; what is the best way to get the barbed stem out of the molded plastic hose on the right in the picture. I have read about someone crushing it and fishing out the fragments but I’d be worried about damaging the hose. Is there enough hose to cut that bit off and still leave enough to connect the two ends to the check valve?
Thanks in advance!
S

6A61BECB-66C8-4D7F-8A17-7CEE13F69447.jpeg

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My solution here. You could use the plastic NRV if its not heat-shrunk into the rigid pipe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used a heat gun on low and was able to get it hooked and pulled out but things can go bad real quick with those things. I did it fine once and got lucky the second time. If you had someone to help pull the piece while heating on and off quickly (this is what I did) it would help. The new one

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
buy the check valve with new hose as a unit. Sure you can heat up the old hose and try and install it but the engine bay heat on a turbo is so intense, that's a fools game. The hose is as brittle as the broken check valve. Never enough money to do it right, always enough money to do it over....

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i changed it out today after an hours drive which got everything as warm and as pliable as it was going to get. I used a drill bit to slowly try to ream the broken stem out which actually just caught it and turned it out. Installed the new valve into the hard hose end (the throttle body side is no problem). Connected them and placed in the clip and “Bob’s your Uncle”. Glad I cheaped out and didn’t buy the whole thing because I bought two valves from Amazon for less than half the price of the valve and hose from eEuro...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts