SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I hope someone can help me. My 1999 9-3 vert SID keeps showing " Check soft top latches" I have done a search and it seems that this is probably a problem with micro switchs sticking. Could someone please let me know how I get to these switches, I understand that they are above the wind screen. Thanks in advance ! Mike.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links earth worm but I couldent find the info I want :cry:

The top works fine but every few miles when the top is up the "check soft top latches" warning pops up on the SID and the heater drops. Then it will go out and the heater goes up again. I cant find any info on the web about where the micro switches are and how to get to them.

Anyone got any info or pics please, as this is driving me crazy !

Mike

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Microswitches are either normally open or normally closed. In the case of a circuit like this I would hope that they are normally closed and go open when detecting a failure (like the top is released). You will need a volt-ohm meter and schematic to do any electrical checking... Ron

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Microswitches are either normally open or normally closed. In the case of a circuit like this I would hope that they are normally closed and go open when detecting a failure (like the top is released). You will need a volt-ohm meter and schematic to do any electrical checking... Ron
Thanks Ron,

The trouble is that I did not know where the micro switches were and how many of them there were.

I have at last found some info on them and the way I read this, it is saying that there are only 2 micro switches. Can you or anyone else comfirm this for me?

The info that I have found is this:

http://www.townsendimports.com/Saab_TSB_Folder/Saab_TSB_pdfs/811_2236.PDF

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Speaking for the older cars, and I think the newer cars are likely the same with the number of microswithches, there are at least seven. Not all of these are on latches, however.
Two in the header latches above the windshield
Two in the tonneau(soft top cover) latches at the front corners of the tonneau cover
Two in the soft top storage bag(not latch microswitches)
One on the emergency release handle
One on the fifth bow latch (one side I think)
The latch microswitches are not just open/closed. They send a different signal to the control unit telling whether the latch is open or closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts