SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a little problem with the saab.

Its a 1997 900s 2.3L about 130k miles on her. This whole week the car has been in Limp Home Mode, with Check Engine Lights on and Check Gear Box lights on. Likewise with limp home mode, the car starts off in 3rd gear, real slow moving.

This has happened once before maybe about a month ago, and it went away 10 minutes later on its own.
I went to Auto Zone and they pulled the following codes...

P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P1124 Fuel Air Metering (Additive Adaptation, Bank 1, Max. Value )
P1624 Manufactueres Control Auxillary Input Auxillary Output (Automatic Transmission Has Stored Emission Related Fault)

names in parenthesis are what came up on a website, not on the ODBII reader.

Any ideas guys? Please help!!!!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
My daughter's '97 900SE had a similar problem; I drove it 3 miles, it was bad(starting off in 3rd), but then, having fully warmed up, she reverted to normalcy.

But the lights (ck gearbox), (ck engine) stayed on...
And, a funny thing, the sport and winter dash lights were inoperative until the car was fully warm and these two transmission shift options were functioning...

The neutral "safety" switch has been mentioned as a culprit..

I do not think Saab uses a "limp home" mode...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starting off in 3rd gear sounds like a limp to me.

anyone have any info on those codes i posted?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
"""starting off in 3rd gear sounds like a limp to me."""

No, this is a winter mode used to prevent wheelspin. "Limp" is more limited engine performance, RPM limits...

Two things to check :

The voltage must be at least 12.0, when lower than that the car's computer has a fit. Then there are the electrical connections below the battery area - a harsh corrosive environment if ever there was one...

Condition of the ATF - has this ever been changed ??

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I can't help much, but I'll ask a question to give you a bump :cheesy:

I don't know about limp home mode on our cars, but on the old bosch controlled cars (saab, volvo, prolly vw an bmw too), the limp home mode was just a default to a crude almost mechanical fuel injection system if some major electronic component failed. The air mass meter and oxygen sensor were out of the loop, and fuel wasn't very precisely metered. Performance and emissions were aweful, but at least you got home.

We might have a limp home mode on our cars, but the cel doesn't always mean we're in it. Of course you could be the unlucky first one to find it.

I suspect that all the codes have one cause. As earthworm suggests, perhaps the trans just needs an oil change or a relay replaced. It seems to me that starting in 3rd gear would screw up the air metering, especially when it's cold. Maybe the solenoid they refer to is an external part (or has some external wires) that you could bang on or jiggle? Just a thought, since I've never seen an auto in person.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tranny fluid was drained and refilled with Dexron III (as recommended)
We were going to get it flushed with the machine, but the champ at the shop didnt have the fitting for Saabs.

Could a battery thats on its way out the door be causing all these problems??
Those 2nd two codes almost sound like an O2 sensor. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
No way it's the battery. A DEAD battery won't even throw a code. Doubt it's the 02 as that is a different code.
Maybe the MAF? That's what the 2nd code looks like.
(I am not even sure MAF is the correct abbreviation, can someone clarify?).
The only part of that that resembles an O2 is "BANK1". The rest is NOT an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CleveSaab said:
No way it's the battery. A DEAD battery won't even throw a code. Doubt it's the 02 as that is a different code.
Maybe the MAF? That's what the 2nd code looks like.
(I am not even sure MAF is the correct abbreviation, can someone clarify?).
The only part of that that resembles an O2 is "BANK1". The rest is NOT an O2 sensor.
no the battery isnt DEAD but maybe its low charged. Anyway, I guess we'll take it in to Swedish Solutions, and see what they say.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I meant that if a TOTALLY DEAD battery won't throw a code, surely a LOW battery would not either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well

my girlfriend took her saab to the mechanic. They said theres definately a problem (no $hit) They said that "the computer" need to be replaced, and it will be $798 for the part.

they also said that if the computer isnt the problem, they need to put in a new (used) transmission, but in either case the computer still needs to be replaced.

without asking her to call them again, can anyone tell me what 'computer' they are replacing that costs that much?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts