SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1994 Saab 900 se 2.5 "check gear box" light came on this morning. The car basically sat all weekend and this morning I started it with no problems but when I went to back out of the driveway I put the car in reverse and the transmission slammed into gear making a loud banging noise. That's when the check gear box light came on. The fluid level is fine but the car would barely move as though there was no power. It did not appear to be slipping, just moved very slow. I recently changed the fluis (about 300 miles ago) and have had no problems with it until this morning. Is there something I can check? When I stopped the car, turned it off and restarted it, the light was gone.:roll:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I am assuming you have an automatic..Even though the ATF is new and "clean", it is probably not, with dislodged hunks or dirt floating about jamming up the works...

Try changing the ATF again - this is a three step program anyway...

Also, for some reason, you are now in a winter driving mode which starts off in 3rd gear....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do this. I knew it had to be changed again at about 500 miles but I will do it now. I was hoping it was not the neutral safety switch. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had a faulty neutral safety switch that I have not replaced because of the price of the part. Whenever mine acts up, once a month or so, the gear box light will come on and the car will start off in 3rd gear. All I need to do is to restart the car and it functions normally. You didn't mention that when you restarted the car if it ran properly after that or not?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've too been having this problem...seems to me I get it at cold starts and take offs (when its cold outside)......Lately I've been lettting the car set for 2 or 3 minutes before taking off, all is good so far.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
gthomp0805 said:
my 1994 Saab 900 se 2.5 "check gear box" light came on this morning. The car basically sat all weekend and this morning I started it with no problems but when I went to back out of the driveway I put the car in reverse and the transmission slammed into gear making a loud banging noise. That's when the check gear box light came on. The fluid level is fine but the car would barely move as though there was no power. It did not appear to be slipping, just moved very slow. I recently changed the fluis (about 300 miles ago) and have had no problems with it until this morning. Is there something I can check? When I stopped the car, turned it off and restarted it, the light was gone.:roll:
The loud bang noise is troubling I would say have it inspected by a shop that has a tech II device and have them read the code thrown. What did the ATF look like? What color and what did it smel like?

Sounds like the car is also in limp mode (protection mode to prevent causing further damage) this is why it's running slow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I shut if off and restarted it it was normal. I will change the fluid this weekend and again in another 500 miles. In the mean time I will also warm it up since we are getting to colder night time temps this could be the cause. Thanks to all for replying.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
earthworm said:
Try changing the ATF again - this is a three step program anyway...

Also, for some reason, you are now in a winter driving mode which starts off in 3rd gear....
Sometimes it is inadvisable to repeatedly change the AFT fluid if its not being changed correctly. There are instances when an AFT fluid change or flush can actually cause more damage by causing fine metal particles, worn from the clutches, to travel through or past the filter into the valve body and torque converter.

I'd recommend just getting the ATX code scanned with a Tech II to retrieve the code that the "Check Gear Box" light set. It cost alot less to get the transmission code scanned then to fix/replace the transmission.

Also when the warning lamp is illuminated, the car is not in winter mode, its in limp home mode, there is a difference. Winter mode starts the vehicle in 3rd gear but will allow the transmission to shift to 4th at the right speed. Limp home mode only allows you 3rd gear to get the car to a shop. It allows you to actually move the vehicle when the transmission is in "protection mode" but doesn't let you travel at highway speeds, well the maximum speed that 3rd gear will allow. Only an idiot would drive the car at highway speeds when the transmissions is in limp home mode.

·
Registered
230 Posts
gthomp0805 said:
After I shut if off and restarted it it was normal. I will change the fluid this weekend and again in another 500 miles. In the mean time I will also warm it up since we are getting to colder night time temps this could be the cause. Thanks to all for replying.
If this happens again I would take it somewhere immediately after and get the code read. If its the neutral safety switch the code will be P0705. The code will clear itself in just a couple of engine cycles if the fault goes away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts