SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Tuesday the check engine light came on in my car. I called and made an appoinment at the dealer, the service manager said not to worry, as long as the light was not flashing and the light was on steady, it could wait. I then made an appointment for next week Wed. So lastnight driving around town the light turned off, and is no longer on.

Have you ever had the check engine light turn off like that? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

Ops I meant to post this in the other forum...:lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a buddy of mine that drove a 99 9-3 (I know they are different years and models) but his would come on every now and then, then go off a few days later. This happened about 7-8 times over the course of the 75,000 miles he drove. He never had it diagnosed, and did just fine. I would recommend having it checked out. Next time it comes on, take it to a mechanic and just have them run diagnostics so you know what it is for. Some places will just be able to give you a code, but you can surf online and find out the problem.

I had mine on last week because of a short in the brake system, so it could be anything really.
Good luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
This happened to my mom's 2001 9-5. It was just an emissions sensor sensing something was not right with the emissions. It was certainly safe to drive, and it went off after a day or two. The check engine light will come on for things like if your gas cap is loose. If it is a serious problem that could leave you stranded on the side of the road, you would most likely have symptoms like sluggishness, etc. It's still a good idea to have a dealer check it out though. The codes are saved for a little while if the light has turned off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had that happen on my 03 9-5. I was changing the passenger side headlight light bulb and moved the air inlet thing to get more access to the light buld. The next time I drove the check engine light was on. I had it diagnosed and it was the mass air flow sensor located within the intake pipe. I just checked that all the screws were tight and continued driving and after a few days it fixed itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts