SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have seen my other post, you will see I have a clutch problem. Well, a day after having this looked at, my Check Engine light came on...bad luck eh? It drives fine so wouldn't have noticed without seeing the light. I took it to a local garage and they said the scan showed one fault. They put on the receipt "The ecu had lost communication from canbus". They asked if I had changed the battery or disconnected it recently, which I hadn't, so they simply reset the ecu and the light didn't come back on. Until today (only 5 days later). Now I didn't realise they could give me a code, so all I got was the message on the receipt. I tried ringing and asking if they still have the code for the error message but they don't and they cannot fit me in until Wednesday to scan it again.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew what was wrong with my car to bring up this error message? If not, I'll have to wait until Wednesday and hope it's nothing really serious as I'm still having to drive it.

It is a 55 reg 9-5 1.9tdi by the way, and a manual transmission if that makes any difference.

Many Thanks,

Mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just given an independent saab garage a call to see if they would tell me what "lost communication with ecu from canbus" means...they said that is saying the scanning equipment used is the wrong sort and is not detecting the fault. Does this sound right? He said I needed to take it to them for him to use a saab scanner. I'm a bit wary of this, and wondered if he is just trying to rip me off. I have just paid £34.50 to have it tested at my local garage using a launch x431 scanner which they assure me will pick up saab faults. Will the saab scanner be any different as they want another £35 + vat for this?

Many Thanks,

Mark.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What year is your car 55 reg?? In the EU anyway for cars upto year 2000, you will need tech II while car after 2001 can used the code reader in the market. I think u can get one for the price that they are charging u to read the codes. Note do not disconnect the batteries as this this will reset the ECU and delete the stored DTC. Not correcting the problem at all.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Take the car to Wes at Nottingham Saab, Ilkeston Derbyshire. He is a Saab master mechanic who won't turn you over or charge silly prices. He was the only man i'd let loose on my Saabs and he has a cult following in the Saab community. You can contact him on 01159309393, check out his 400bhp track car while you are there, its quite a beast. :cool:

Saab use Tech 2 for fault diagnosis, generic code readers will give a code but often not an accurate one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts