SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A few weeks ago I went bit quick over a hump back bridge, and a few miles later I had engine check light come on. I have not used my car much recently as My parents have been away so I have had access to another car.

Anyway. I have pulled fuse 17 a couple of times and the engine check goes away for about 10 miles then comes back on. I spoke to my mate last night he works in a college (motor vehicle dept), they have OBD II reader. He brought it home today to plug into diagnostic socket inside car.

Anyway prior to this today, I pulled open the bonnet to have a quick nose around and found a hose pulled off it was a vacuum hose. situated on the rear right hand bulkhead. there is a plastic cover on a sort of solenoid type thing with two hoses going to it . One was pulled off, the other end of this hose goes to a three way seperator. I change all my vacuum hoses a couple of months ago and this is quite a loose fit so I replaced it with the original which I kept. I have reset fuse 17 and check engine light has gone out yet to take for a long drive.

Does anyone know what this thing does ? and would this have caused engine check light to come on ?

We tried OBD II reader tonight on car and it seems to read all the parameters etc. but check engine light is off now, will this OBD II reader be use to me in the future ?

What can it do ?

Appreciate any feedback on this could save me a few pennies if I need to get my codes read in the future.

Cheers Alun

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,

Thanks 4 that Chris, Just wondered if this OBD II will be useful, and what this sensor does ? Would this vacuum hose loose called up a C.E.L ?

Al.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Vacuum leaks can cause CEL's ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I must admit the idea of having one appeals to me, but I dont know anyone in the Uk using one that they can recommend to us :confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
obd2 reader

Chris,

the elm323 version supports a load of other vehicle manufacturers. Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar (X300 and XK series), Jeep, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Saab, Skoda, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen (VW), Volvo

http://www.ukobd.co.uk/gstore/store/g_viewItem.asp?IDproduct=86

would be good idea if got a few mates with above cars to club together to get this bit of kit.

There is also free software to run with this called digimoto link here

http://www.digimoto.com/installs/lite/digimotolitefw106.exe

just downloaded it looks like loads of tools to play about with.

Cheers Al

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
obd reader

Interesting topic this, I got quoted 30 pounds today just to get a reader plugged in to take codes. for 60 pounds, i could buy my own reader ! and rip other peolple off :nono; will be searching around to build my own reader i think...

Alun

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
OBD2 Codereader can only read engine and transmission codes in the 9-5 - so sometimes dealerhelp is needed.....

/GG

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
obd readers

Hey,

Thanks 4 all this info will defo look into getting one of these pity there are not so many available in U.K.

Alun.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
obd2 reader

thanks for info on elm electronics, the chip is available for 17 canadian dollars. There is also a circuit diagram on their website for anyone interested in making their own OBD2 reader.

looks real easy not much to it bit of vero board two chips, four transistors, diodes, a crystal, and some capacitors. not sure where the obd2 connector is available from anyone know what it is called.

Second thoughts, may be just as easy to buy one.......!!!

Alun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts