SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

In the past week or so, I hear a loud thump/clunk from the engine compartment when I drive over the slightest imperfection on the road. Almost sounds like the battery is jumping up and down under the hood, except that it is not the battery (the battery is tied securely and this thump sounds MUCH bigger).

Yesterday the check engine light turned on and stays on. Before you ask, yeah, the fuel cap is tight.

Any ideas? Engine mount? :confused:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I really wouldn't think these two are connected. But you never know. Take a good look under the hood for anything that looks our of place. And go to an AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and they're read the CEL (check engine light) for free. Come back here with the code.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
At the 5 to 7 year service (50 to 100K) all the subframe bolts must be properly re-tightened.

You will not see this as part of the "standard" 60 or 65K glorified oil change.Nevertheless this should be done, it is NOT difficult.
At the same time, the mechanic must check the rubber underneath, the mounts and the joints.

I'd say we have two problems here, unrelated..
There must be a million threads on this CEL , aka MIL(malfunction indicator light).
Pay a reasonable $20 or so and have the codes read and translated.
The dealers seem to want $80 to 100 for this service, why so much, I do not know.
But their systems are extremely expensive, only high volume can pay off this expense.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Would you happen to know what those torque specs are earthworm?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
stromer said:
Would you happen to know what those torque specs are earthworm?
I think PMI has them, I have never tightened them on the bluebird, no problems(except for the expensive ball joints) at 9 years,145K miles..

radius arm to subframe : 74, then 75 to 90 degrees more
center : 140
front : 85

ref 10-2, Haynes

Remove each bolt, clean/lubricate, if necessary, chase the threads..

This task is not for a beginner,IMO...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just had a code read at AutoZone and they said they no longer can reset the CEL for customers. Having my own reader would be nice but why buy one when they do it for free.

Checking the suspension bolts on occasion is a good practice. My car was making a terrible racket until I tightened the bolts on the lower control arm and underneath the dash.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well what was the code? I dunnon about AutoZone, but Advance will let you reset the codes. Actually, now they just hand me the reader and I got out to the parking lot myself. Its a good system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts