SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last night the check engine light came on, and the car lost power. Now it starts and runs, but won't rev cleanly past 2000rpm.

Car is a 1987 16 Valve Turbo, bosch injection. No cat.

Anyone tell me how to read the codes, and what they might mean?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
hold up a minute, before buying a new AMM, and becuae I don't know what kind of technical skills you have, first think to do first is to check all of your intercooler/turbo piping to make sure non of the rubber grommets have corruded or the metal clamps havn't come off. 2000 rpms is generaly when the turbo kicks in and it could be cuaseing extra air (that the computer just happens to think is still in the system) to excape cuaseing all kinds of neat little problems.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
There are very few things that will cause the CEL to come on in an 87. pretty sure that either an ECU fault, something not connected at all or a broken hot wire in the AMM are the only things that can cause it.

10:1, your AMM is broken and needs to be replaced. I would suggest new or rebuilt, but if you replace it with a used one, be sure to set it @ 380 ohms as per bently manual

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Remove the AMM and visually inspect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DeLorean said:
There are very few things that will cause the CEL to come on in an 87. pretty sure that either an ECU fault, something not connected at all or a broken hot wire in the AMM are the only things that can cause it.

10:1, your AMM is broken and needs to be replaced. I would suggest new or rebuilt, but if you replace it with a used one, be sure to set it @ 380 ohms as per bently manual
I've taken the AMM off, the hotwire is still in one piece, and the resistance between pins 3 and 6 was at 376 Ohms as I took it off the car, so it doesn't appear faulty - is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
DeLorean said:
Bad O2 sensor (lambda sensor) will cause the check engine light to come on. I would replace that before replacing the AMM since it looks good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. I took the car up to our local Saab breaker and he let me swap parts over until the light went out. .turned out to be the AMM, cost me £20 for a good S/H replacement.. now to do the headlining :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts