SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off - I really like this car. Despite the challenge I'm about to discuss, I'm very happy with it and how it drives. I feel really good knowing my wife is driving such a safe car, and the utility of the wagon is great. I actually feel a little smug when we pull up next to the monster SUV's in town.

Anyhow, our 2006 9-3 Aero SC (auto) has been in to the shop a few times thanks to the CEL being thrown. We bought it just about a year ago and it has 8k miles - mostly around town driving. Point of reference - my wife's "communte" is about 1 mile each way.

The first time my wife brought the car in they couldn't figure it out and they simply reset the light.

About a month or two later the light came on again, we brought it in, and they couldn't figure it out at first. They then thoght they figured it out and replaced some EVAP part (they had the car for a few weeks since the part was on backorder and we had a 9-7x loaner). The light was naturally off when we got it back.

Unfortunately about a week ago we noticed the light was on again. My wife brought it in today and the dealer can't figure out why it came on again. They basically reset it and said everything is fine.

Besides a few instances where we've been accelerating in 2nd and it briefly drops into 1st I've never noticed anything peculiar or "wrong" with how it drives, so it could be that the car really is "fine".

My question is what is our recourse if it keeps getting thrown, but no malfunction is detected. My big concern is there might be something actually wrong deep in the engine or electrical system that could manifest itself right after our warranty blows. I can see the dealer's perspective where there is nothing glaringly wrong. That said, I know this isn't a Honda so it's possible that there really is some gremlin that will express itself more insidiously at 50,001 miles :-(

My initial thought is if it happens a few more times SAAB might owe us an extended warranty just in case. Is that unreasonable?

TIA for any other thoughts.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Well first off there should be a specific code # that is being stored. The dealers Tech II system is over $100,000 worth of diagnostic equipment.

Have them explain exactly what code is being stored and the rectification of that bad code.

Is your dealer a Chevy/Hyundai or something? Sounds like it's not a Saab only dealer.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Yeah, get the code. You don't need Saab for this, an auto parts store can often do it for free.

I bet it's still an evap code. These systems only run for a brief interval, and problems generally don't affect overall vehicle performance. Unfortunately most states require that all emissions subsystems be in good working order. I'm guessing California is never going to let you pass inspection with a lit CEL or logged code.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You, my friend, are not putting your gas cap on correctly.

It's a common problem, and happened to me. I once let my dad drive my car, and he filled it up at the gas station, and the check engine light was on for 6 days straight, untill I filled up again, redid the gas cap, and then within the next few hours it went off.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Continuing on Dustin's point, your owner's manual says to tighten it to three clicks. You can go tighter, but three is usually the magic number.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The DTC will tell you if you're failing the leakdown test or it's some other part of evap. In this case I doubt it's just the gas cap, or the dealer would not have had to order a part.

It would be nice to know WHAT THAT PART WAS.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The gas caps do go on back order around the time Saab starts shipping the new model years to the dealers. Known to drive service and sales managers into hissy fits because there are used 9-3's that can't be certified until the cap gets replaced.:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts